Is there an LED equivalent of 500W Work Light?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one of these cheap light from Home Depot or Sears, 500W and usually come in pairs mounted on a tripod, giving 1000W total. Useful for working on your car and such. I am sure you know what I mean?

They are all pretty inexpensive, something like $15 for one. And disposable, as I found out --- I ran mine for a year with great success, very bright and useful for automotive repair kind of stuff, but now it fails to turn on. Tried the spare bulb, same thing. Maybe something overheated inside - it generates lots of heat.

anyway

My question is, is there a LED equivalent of that thing? It needs to be plugged in, obviously, no cells involved.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc said:
Is there an LED equivalent of 500W Work Light?

I very seriously doubt it!! It would probably cost a couple hundred bucks (or more) to make with lots of 3 or 5 watter Luxs to get the same brightness.

I got this light (the yellow 500W output) several years ago and haven't had any trouble with it and it doesn't get hot like halogens. You may want to look into something like it.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That would be about 10,000 lumens. The answer is not yet but with 7 watt or so emitters with 150 lm/W efficiencies perhaps available by 2010 to 2012 the answer is eventually. Ten such emitters (~1000 lumens each) could match the output of the 500 watt halogen while using only 70 watts.

In the meantime using two or three T8 shoplights instead of one of these will give equal or better light output while using a few hundred watts less. The fire hazards of the halogens plus the poor efficiency make them a poor choice. Cheaper to buy, yes, but as you saw you get what you pay for.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
I have 2 of the 400w wobble lights. I bought them for a job last year. We used them to do concrete work in the dark and paint inside a house that didn't have the light fixtures installed. We've kicked them and bumped them around the jobsite. The bulbs are held with a spring wrapping them to prevent shock from breaking them.

They are the brightest worklights I've seen, other than the tower that freeway construction crews use. They do have one drawback. If you unplug them, there is a delay before you can restart them.

Here's the mfg's website. http://www.wobblelight.com/products.html

IIRC, I got them from Northern Tools or some other catalog. I believe I saw them at White Cap as well.

Sure.. about 300W of LED power and fan cooling... Probably could do it with 60 Luxeon Vs driven at 5W each.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there was, i'm sure it'd be really expensive just becuase of the # of LED's that you'd need to achieve the same amount of light. At that point, i think it'd be more efficient just to use a regular incandescent bulb. The LED's are more popular in handheld lights because of their ability to survive shocks and their energy efficiency. When it comes to a plugin they assume no battery life because it isn't a factor, and they assume it'll be sitting on a tripod or something like that. So there's no shock involved either. Plus they are more simple, that's why they're cheaper.

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
Try cleaning the contacts on the light with a small wire brush or Dremel. I have a couple of those lights that did the same thing. All the heat they generate dirties up the contacts, usually copper. After cleaning mine have always returned to normal operation. As far as a 500W LED worklight, no.