Thwarting flashlight leeches

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
I don't know if any of you are blessed to work around people similar to the ones I work with, but it seems some people have developed a habit of depending on me to supply a flashlight on demand for them. In the mechanical/technical enviornment I work in, everyone should have (if not always carry) a reliable light source, but they don't have either the initiative or intelligence to do so.
I'd like to find a light with a "lock-out" function on it; something that can be set to a really weak output but then have a higher output that only I can access. Any ideas? Also, it needs to be where it is really difficult to get out of the weak output mode as the leeches just "love" to operate and try to figure out gear that belongs to other people.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha yeah. Mine is similar to that, outside of they don't bother to ask, they just stand there and peer into a dark crevice doing this: :thinking:

So I finally :shakehead and walk over.

Maybe it's time to give them the 'Batteries don't grow on trees, ya know" speech.

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Break out the pink light

+1 for TinderBox - sounds like you need the Barbie or Hello Kitty lights. You'll always get them back (unless you work with a closet fan of such things...)

If you're feeling generous, you could upgrade them with a SMJLED.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im pretty lucky where I work. They all have torches, but they are still jealous and take the **** because mine is smaller but brighter.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
That's not a good solution. I don't want to carry around torches for the convenience of those who can't bother themselves to be prepared. I guess it's understandable in an environment where one may not always forsee needing a light. But in my situation it's unexcusable, to say the least, that my coworkers would not have a readily available light source of their own.

quokked

Enlightened
lol :) you could always lend them a A2 aviator, and just lock out the tail cap to the LEDs
You'd be like OMG u've broken the Incan
On a more serious note, u might be better off just getting some cheap good quality lights like the Fenix L1P and just having that as a 'borrow' light and keeping the good ones to yourself

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why I carry the keychain Photon clones in my pocket. If they want a brighter light, they can get their own....

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
I am curious, just how weak can a FluPic be programed. Perhaps using one, and setting all levels to lowest might do the trick.

I am posting because I am looking for a VERY dim flashlight right now. Something that puts out less than the Radio Shack photon clone. I would love to find that, but be able to turn it into a bright light when necessary.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
nothing a "Stone cold Stunner" couldn't fix :)

I agree... Having loaner lights really works. i live with 8 people and they get my 2 d cell with cheap LED in there.(none are perpared)It'll run for days and it bright enuf for them to do just about anything indoors

Such lumen leaches!!!

pilou

Enlightened
Jedi Knife said:
I guess it's understandable in an environment where one may not always forsee needing a light. But in my situation it's unexcusable, to say the least, that my coworkers would not have a readily available light source of their own.

Then it is time to put a stop to it. Either just tell them to their face that it is time to buy their own lights, or tell them they need to pay you with batteries for the right to use your lights.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jedi Knife,

I once gave my son an AA Mini Mag to use on a camp out. He is often giving me "attitude" about my lights, but wanted to borrow one for this outing.

I happen to have an extra AA sized battery spacer and gave it to him with only 1 battery in it. It worked fine, but was very dim. Once he replaced the batteries, it was back to full power.

Tom

KnightStar

Newly Enlightened
I gave a friend of mine an Arc AAA several years ago. He attached it to his keychain and it's been there ever since. When coworkers ask to borrow it, he tells them he can't get if off his keychain. (They understand. He works for a company which makes parts for the F-22 Raptor and the some of the keys open certain doors not accessible to other coworkers.)
Do you carry an ID badge? If so, is the light small enough to attach to the ID badge?
KnightStar

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buckeye said:
Let them borrow a shake light. Oh...and put a bell, like on a cat's collar, on it so they announce to everyone when they use it.:lolsign:

Doug
That's just brilliant.

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Just tell them that if they scratch your lights or break it, they'll pay full price for the light... then tell them the full price of the light....

or buy 20 photon clones from Dae at $14 and sell them off for 2 bucks each to your coworkers...