What rechargable light for around $100?

clipse

Enlightened
Right now, say you have about $100 to spend on a rechargable light. What would you get?

(I'm trying to get ideas since tomorrow is payday. :) )

I'm leaning towards the G&P R500 but thats just me.

clipse

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
What specifically is your intended use for this light? It might be better to tailor the purchase to the need rather than trying to figure out how to spend $100, as I'm sure there are going to be a few suggestions and possibly a few veiled suggestions that are motivated by financial gain.

Also, how frequently are you going to be using this light. In some applications, a rechargeable light may not serve as well as a light that uses primary batteries.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
just to let you know... the r500 is an awsome light. Quality is very high, and it puts out a really bright beam... recommended. I think you'de really like it

-David

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
The R500 is a great deal if you need an insane amount of light.
Unless you are lighting up a big area or long range, its use is very limited.
I like the one I have but it is really a shelf queen compared to my LED's for everyday use. Every day carry is Fenix LOP, P1, walking light is 032 Nuwai, and back up in vehicles are 14V China, Mag LED's and Magchargers ready to go.
Decide what you need and go from there.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not as bright (or as expensive) but I'm starting to like the protected 18650 compatible lights out there. Waion's VB-16 for $55 shipped is pretty versatile. I think Dae said he's willing to sell the Xtar-3W for $30 shipped by itself or $60 with 2 protected 18650 batteries and charger.

The VB-16 runs about as bright on all types of batteries but I think the Xtar performs very differently with different types of batteries.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I have an UltraStinger. I just use it for lighting up stuff at a distance. Most of the time it sits in my locker or duty bag. The other night I was at an accident scene and realized that there's a lot more than throw to a light. A sgt's T4 wasted my US at lighting up the scene.

Sooooo...what size are you looking for? I don't own a Strion, but I have a few friends who do and they like them.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you asked specifically what I would get, it would be a G & P R500, BUT I already own:

-Tigerlight FBOP

-mini-Ultrastinger

-Inova T4

I have had in the past a Streamlight Ultrastinger AND a Streamlight SL-20X with the SL-35X lamp assembly. Actually, all of the lights I have mentioned in this posts are great light. That having been said, I would still get the G & P R500 because it looks like a great light at a great price. The reviews look pretty good.

clipse

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
What specifically is your intended use for this light? It might be better to tailor the purchase to the need rather than trying to figure out how to spend $100, as I'm sure there are going to be a few suggestions and possibly a few veiled suggestions that are motivated by financial gain.

Also, how frequently are you going to be using this light. In some applications, a rechargeable light may not serve as well as a light that uses primary batteries.

I knew someone was going to ask that. I have lights for any and all intentions. I want another rechargable light. It could be for EDC, spotlighting, or bedstand. I don't care really. It just has to be rechargable. :) Oh, and I may or may not use it often.

Ironhog81 said:
Decide what you need and go from there.

Thats just it. I don't need another light. For EDC I have a Surefire A2, HDS EDC U60 (With RCR123), and an Amilite Neo T3. For really bright throwy light outside I have a borealis(most likely much brighter than the r500). For nightstand duty/bumps in the night I have a G2 with G90 and two RCR123's, and a 2C maglite with 6cell MNS running on two 18500's.

I have quite a few other lights as well. I recently just got into rechargables though. :)

clipse

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send me the $100 and I'll send you a rechargeable light that is more reliable than something that you might pick up on eBay (which probably means that it might work if you can read whatever language the directions come in, that is, if you ever get it. :D )

If you're not going to use it often, you've just provide your own reason for not getting a rechargeable light.

But if you've got a yard burning a hole in your pocket and you just have to get rid of it, based up the lights that you've described as having, it sounds like a Strion might be an appropriate selection.

clipse said:
It just has to be rechargable. :) Oh, and I may or may not use it often.

cryhavok

Enlightened
The Wolf-eyes 6MX with a wolf-eyes 3.7v lamp and one protected 18650 cell looks pretty interesting...seems to even beat 9v lamp assemblies running off a single 3.7v.

look here

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
clipse said:
:) Oh, and I may or may not use it often.

Thats just it. I don't need another light.
clipse

In your situation I would save the 100$ and would spend it later for a higher cost light like a multiple Luxeon light or a HID, which you will use really often:).

Best regards

____
Tom

Buckeye

Enlightened
One idea is the CPF LE 4W VB-16. The thread is here.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112127
It can run on one 186500 or two RCR123As. I'm using mine on two of AW's RCR123As. I keep mine near the headboard. I leave it on a low setting for getting around. It takes a second to turn up the level up for more light. With fresh batteries it does have 16 levels. It has a twisty tailcap with momentary and lockout.

Doug

creampuff

Newly Enlightened
Magcharger + a couple of WA1160 bulbs will be less than $100. It doesn't have the output of the G&P, but the MC60 is my go to light when I need something with throw.