converting from a 12V 15W bulb to LED's.

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

converting from a 12V 15W bulb to LED\'s.

I checked the archives, but didn't see anything quite like this. I want to convert a bulb that I have (for automotive lighting use) to use LED's, but not lose any brightness. I assume light from multiple LED's would be additive, so I could use an array of say 6 or 8 relatively bright LED's. Am I right about this?
also, what sort of candlepower would your standard 12V 15W bulb put out? where would be the best place to get LED's that are 12V powered that are bright enough for this application? How many and what kind of LED would be best?

thanks for your help
-Michael McCoy

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: converting from a 12V 15W bulb to LED\'s.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>How many and what kind of LED would be best?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll need about 12 Luxeon emitters (at about $6 each) or a zillion (OK about 120) standard 5mm white Nichias (at around $2.50 each) to get the same brightness.

LEDs are probably not bright enough for your application.

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: converting from a 12V 15W bulb to LED\'s.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael McCoy:
I want to convert a bulb that I have (for automotive lighting use) to use LED's, but not lose any brightness.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're looking for equal brightness for illumination, like in headlights, then the market doesn't yet offer a LED for you. Technology may, or may not have reached that point, but such lamps are not yet on the market.

If you're looking for equal brightness in order for the light's source to be seen, equal brightness isn't necessary. Focus and polarization in the LED enable it to be noticeable for a greater distance than the scattered light of an incandescent.

Latest posts