Ebay Dispute on L6, need advice from experienced users.

Telkin

Enlightened
I just got scammed on Ebay.

I purchased an L6 from Chris_1 from ebay thinking it would be safe because he was a powerseller. It turns out that I was very wrong. I now know there has been problems with him in the past after searching this forum under his ebay signature.

The Surefire L6 was advertised as Brand New in Packaging but what I got was entirely different. When I opened the shipping box, I saw that the Surefire Box was ripped and torn up, it had obviously not been new and someone had been in it. Ok, so I was willing accept that if the light was in good condition.

I looked in the bezel and knew right away something was wrong. There was debris and vertical scratches on the reflector. Little part of silvery material was all propped up on the bezel surface.

I turned the light on and was evern more devastated, it lit up but it wasn't bright at all! Maybe the brightness of a Gladius at 3/4 power? Compared to my L5 it didn't even seem like a surefire. As unlikely as it is, I thougth maybe the batteries were low so I put in my fresh 3.0v RCR123a's and nothing, didn't like up at all. Put new Primary's in and it lit up but again, not what I expect from a Surefire Lux 5. This light does not light up with any RCR's. Could the LED have been swaped out?

So my question now is...what can I do? I've only had one dispute on ebay before and I got screwed over even worst when I tried to return my merchandise. I had returned it and was promised a replacement but never got it. By the time I smelled something fishy my 60 limit had passed to file a dispute so no $ no merchandise. So I'm really hesitant to get a refund.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I only use ebay a couple times a year.

DSCF1529.jpg

DSCF1527.jpg

DSCF1530.jpg

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Scammed on Ebay on an L6, need advice from experienced users.

Ask on "community" on ebay, they got some expert there.

Everyone who has been on Ebay for a while has been screwed, both buyers and sellers. Myself included. I got a car transmission. Even got warranty for it. It was a nice tranny, working, except that it was the wrong year. Went through 6-month nightmare with small claims court, etc. Lost $350 and much time. Got it from a seller with 0 FB. You get screwed either by 0 feedbacks, or very high ones like in your case.

Your case is pretty good, if that's all you've ever lost, you are doing pretty well. Contact the seller, see what you can work out, post your question on their forums.

"Item significantly not as advertized"

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you pay with your credit card? I don't bother with Paypal or ebay disputes. I just tell my credit card company to do a stop payment. Let paypal deal with your credit card company.

Leave negative feed back and start the process for a dispute saying the item was not as advertised. MAKE SURE the stop payment is done quickly and is the first thing. If it looks like you're getting screwed make sure it's either ebay or the seller and not you.

If you end up keeping or having to keep the light contact surefire and tell them they might replace it for you.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe surefire warranty covers it, Does it look like someone opened the internals? If not maybe send it in as defective and see what can they do

AlexGT

Telkin

Enlightened

I'm hoping to stay away from paypal disputes. I paid through my credit card on Sept 19th, about 10 days ago, can I still do a stop payment? Or charge back? What do I have to say to them?

It looks like the L6 Bezel has definitely been opened, there's a thin layer of dust inside and small vertical scratches on the reflector.

stump

Newly Enlightened

First, unlikely though it may be, you need to contact the seller and give him a chance to make good. Document your emails and any replies. If you paid via Paypal, they have a complaint prodedure. I've never needed to use it myself, yet, but I understand that the will intervene and help you. If you paid by credit card, notify the CC company. If you paid by postal money order, you can file a fraud complaint with the postal system.
Document everything.

LGCubana

Enlightened

I would contact SureFire 1st. Find out what the repairs will cost. Then contact the seller about refunding the cost for the repairs.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened

If you decide to reverse your credit card payment, be sure to RETURN THE ITEM ASAP.

If you keep the item and file a CC chargeback, you may lose the dispute (because you kept it and want your money back :drool: ).

Telkin

Enlightened

Would it be risky for me to ask for a refund? What if I send it back and the seller claims he never received it and won't give me back my $? That's what I'm afraid of most. I guess pretty much whatever I do I'm losing out on my shipping fee and customs charge unless someone from surefire takes pity on me and fixes it.

Normal L6's can use 3.0v RCR123's right? It works on my L5.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regardless of whatever else you do, immediately file a fraud report with ebay. This will let the seller know you mean business.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you contact the seller? He seems to be a good seller, I think oldgrandpajack buys from him alot.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened

I can only tell you my own experience with Chris_1 on Ebay. It was perfect. I won my U2 from him and it was here in 3-days in perfect condition.

You should contact him before assuming that you've been "had". I know of one CPF member who knows him and says he's a good guy. Plus, he seems to be a full-line tactical supplier.

His website is here: http://www.meridiantactical.com/

I know you are alarmed and disappointed, and wish you a speedy resolve!

Bill

Loomy

Enlightened

Deal with the ebay scammer however you like, but if you keep it, Surefire will take it back and give you a new or repaired light. Simple as that.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry you were cheated. File whatever complaints you want. I don't know about any of that. But if you get to the point where you are stuck with the light, it is not difficult or too terribly expensive to have a top modder put in a good W-bin Lux 5 that will make it an awesome light. Good luck --Josey

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do not leave negative feedback and report a fraud problem until you have contacted the seller and given him a chance to remedy. Tell him of your concerns and give him a opportunity to reply. You might be very surprised at his response.

Telkin

Enlightened

Ok, I did just that, I emailed the seller told him I was very unsatisfied, detailed the problems and asked for a full refund including shipping (which was pretty significant at $26).

Are there any assurances that he will pay me back? I've dealt with a seller before who didn't reimburse me once I shipped the item back. Otherwise, I'd take my chances beggins surefire, at least I won't be out a light.

mmace1

Enlightened

Hm...I have over 245 feedback on Ebay (100% positive as well), from both buying and selling.

I would say contact the seller (nicely), I'm sure you're upset, but his feedback (99.3% positive) is high enough that he's probably an honest guy. There is of course some risk, but not enough to avoid just sending it back in exchange for a refund.

I think the whole Surefire-repair/demand refund for repair price from seller route is waaay too difficult to go off smoothly. There's all the lag time while Surefire has your light, risk the the repairs might be unexpectantly high if they find more problems than they initially thought, etc.

I say hold off on doing an item dispute first because:

1.) In theory your'e suppose to contact the seller directly before doing a dispute
2.) It's only going to create tension and make him less likely to want to help you. If you're nice to him he'll most likely be nice back to you.

Good luck, I really don't think it'll be a big deal, but sorry for the wasted time w/out a good L6!

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I repeat what I said earlier...immediately file a fraud report. I have a great deal of experience with ebay, and in this case it's the proper thing to do. If he advertised BRAND NEW and sent you a light in that condition, I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. A fraud report may help start him moving in the right direction.

cy

Flashaholic

Last edited:

Telkin

Enlightened

Well it kind of works well timing wise. I just sent an email to the seller asking what can be done. I can't officially file a complaint until tomorrow (says ebay 10 day rule).

The reason I'm hesitant on shipping is #1 the risk of not being refunded after sending it back, #2 $25 spent on shipping to get it here + $15 Custom's Fee + $20 Sending it back = $60 For that, I might as well just get myself a new Lux 5 in there and clean off the reflector.

The light still works the same as it did before I tried the RCR's and they were not the 3.7v ones but 3.0V ones. I also just found a hair/lint piece stuck between the pyrex inside and outside.

Last edited: