yet another SF EL1 question

lukus

Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a Surefire EL1 for my tool bag. The only negative with it is I'm a little more of a flood over throw guy and the EL1 is all throw. I know I can get an F04 beamshaper and have the versatility, but I had another idea. If I got it right, the lens is really a lens and further shapes the beam past what the reflector does on its own.

The question is, can't I just get a flat lens (window) like a UCL and replace the stock one to flood the beam a little. I'm sure some of you have done this. Will it open up the beam and what kind of quality is the beam after the change?

thanks all,
lukus

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Ive got an E1L with a FO4 and it works great for flood(also protects the lense) and if ya ever need some throw pop off the cover and there ya go. Its really a great light, its my edc along with my peak matterhorn.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
If you really like the form factor of the EL1 but long for some sidespill too -- you may want to read up on this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/121944

I just picked a EL1 with a reflector and UCL lens installed, and really like it.

Sure Fire should pick up on this and produce some. It makes one little awesome ECD light.

Bill