Should I get the KL1(gen4)?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was recently given a VG FB1 host and would like to get a suitable LED head unit for that. Other than the KL1 I've also considered some other options (Aleph series head, KL4, KL3 with E-to-C adapter) but have eventually ruled them out.

So, is KL1 a good choice? How is its performance when used with one 3V RCR123? Is it bright enough for field use? I understand it's not as bright as some other Lux3 lights (esp. when used in stock form).

Also, is it easy to do a Lux swap on the KL1? Or, should I just forget all these and invest in a fully modded Q3? Please advise.

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
I think it's impossible to answer your questions to your satisfaction unless you tell us exactly what "field use" your light is going to see. I have KL1 and KL4 heads on FB1 bodies, and for the quality of light I vastly prefer the higher output of the LuxV KL4. But runtime is going to be incredibly shorter.

With a KL1 you're going to get good runtime for a light that puts out a square of moderately bright light with no spill over the course of your battery's life. Mod your KL1 with a reflector and you can increase your spill at the cost of a smaller hotspot, and you have the same runtime.

Use a KL4 and you're going to get a wall of light for a very short time, but it may not throw as well as the KL1.

If your "field use" requires using the light for a little bit, but needing lots of light, use the KL4. If it means needing "just enough" light to see wherever you point it, and maybe getting more throw out of your light, and you plan to use it a lot, use the KL1.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SL Scorpion LED head on my VG FB1. For pics and a review, see the link in my sig called "Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1". It's a large head relative to the size of the FB1, which I actually like the look of. Because the reflectors quite big, it has great throw and makes around 35-40 lumens with good throw and spill running off a 3.7V R123A. Off a 3V primary, outputs lower, but it runs a looooong time.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
yazkaz,
I like the KL1 a lot. Not knowing what "field work" is, I'd say it's great for outdoors use. I took my E1L with me camping a couple of months ago and was very pleasantly surprised with how well it performed. As Sigman suggests, the F04 beamshaper is a great thing, transforming a very concentrated ray into a completely diffuse beam for close up work. Great for navigating around the campsite, reading maps and so. Pop it off and you've got excellent throw for a one cell LED light.
My buddy had a VG FB-1/KL1 with him + a SF G2. I had brought a SF E2e and a Black Diamond headlamp.
I used the headlamp in the tent and for "the call of the wild" :sssh: and my buddy used his G2 when the battery in his VG/KL1 died and he was too lazy to switch it!:laughing: Apart from that, the KL1's did everything we needed and trust me; it was moonless, in the woods and very dark!

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr said:
I have a SL Scorpion LED head on my VG FB1. For pics and a review, see the link in my sig called "Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1". It's a large head relative to the size of the FB1, which I actually like the look of. Because the reflectors quite big, it has great throw and makes around 35-40 lumens with good throw and spill running off a 3.7V R123A. Off a 3V primary, outputs lower, but it runs a looooong time.

I too have the Scorpion LED. Not a very bright light in general, but still can deliver killer throw. Unfortunately, its bezel doesn't work well at all on the FB1. The light doesn't fire up at all with one prime 123A, while producing pathetic output with a 3V RCR123, as well as lots of flickering when turned on. Anyway, I took the bezel off immediately after the test, fearing I would damage the threads on both components.

BTW, I understand most KL1s are T-binned. If I slap in a U-bin how much improvement will I expect? Kindly advise.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I get the KL1(gen4)?

yes! great light esp on a FB-1 vital gear body. BTW, get me one too, i lost mine a few mth's ago and can't find it :candle: VDG

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
I think the KL1 deserves a FB2 body. I tired of using the F04 on mine.

LB, why? just runtime wise? IF I ever find mine I usually use a FB-1 with a lion and was pretty happy with it. But i didn't use it all day long like an LEO or a job in which it get's used all day. I just really like the form factor of the 1x123 light's in general. VDG

Longbow

Enlightened
Voodooreg, runtime is the main reason I prefer the FB2 body over the FB1, though I do also prefer the balance afforded by the longer FB2.

Coop57

Enlightened
I have a KL1 head on an E2e body. I was very surprised by the amount of throw it has. My buddy had an older KL1 head it produces a lot (subjective measuement) less light and is more flood than throw.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
yazkaz said:
I too have the Scorpion LED. Not a very bright light in general, but still can deliver killer throw. Unfortunately, its bezel doesn't work well at all on the FB1. The light doesn't fire up at all with one prime 123A, while producing pathetic output with a 3V RCR123, as well as lots of flickering when turned on. Anyway, I took the bezel off immediately after the test, fearing I would damage the threads on both components.

Oops, forgot to mention you need a small ring (I took some 22ga wire and bent it into a ring and put it on the back of the Scorpion LED module where the end of the FB1 tube contacts for negative) to make full contact. Stock, the FB1 is a tad (about 1mm) too short. Put in that ring, and it will work fine (in terms of contact). On anything 3V, the Scorpion LED is in DD mode (the buck driver is bypassed so the LED is only getting around 2.8-2.9V). Throw in a 3.7V Li-Ion R123A and it will blast out 35-40 lumens, which is plenty for most tasks and it will outthrow anything other 35-40 lumen light in that size.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I tried the KL4 and I just don't get it. The thing has NO throw. And it has so much flood, that it almost seems like it isn't putting out the amount of light it is, because it's so dispersed so that you can't see details of anything. Only place I see it being useful is in very small rooms indoors. It's like walking around with a little five watt overhead lamp. I just don't get it..

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the deal. If you want a tight beam then get the KL1 put a F04 diffusion on it and it becomes softer. OR use a KL4 for a wall of light and use the F04 for close up work.
IN general I like the KL1, I love the KL4. Get Both. Get them from LightHound.com
Yaesumofo

Nell

Enlightened
My KL4 lights up the room or yard like nothing else. truly a flood pattern. Could the cells be bad/weak on your unit? Try another head and see if it is different.

InfidelCastro

Banned
No, I'm just poking a little fun at an old expression here. It's kind of funny to turn on this "wall of light" and then have it drowned out when I tilt up my 20W desklamp. ;)

sr45

Newly Enlightened
I have both KL1 and KL4 heads for my EDC FB1 and I always seem to choose the KL4. But that's just me...