XO3 Skunk Repellent

GreySave

Enlightened
Notch one up for the Inova XO3. The 'hounds were out in the yard late last night and had their noses pressed right up against the fence in "hunt" mode. Since I could not see what they were so interested in (the neighbor's yard is totally dark), the situation obviously called out for a bright light
smile.gif
. I chose the XO3 since I knew it would have good bright throw and virtually no sidespill to annoy anyone.

A quick scan of the yard illuminated a very large skunk staring right back about 30 yards away from the dogs. Skunks obviously do not like being hit with 3 watts of concentrated LED output, as I could swear I saw it squint before it rather quickly tried to find a way to get away from the light. I followed at a safe distance and was able to drive it about 100 yards farther away before it ducked into shrubs around one of the houses. I turned off the light and waited a while. When it came back out I hit it again and it again started moving away.

All in all it was a very easy way to control the animal and clear it out of the area. I did not have to get anywhere close to it and the light provided very quiet motivation for it to move along.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, skunks aren't that bothered by light as other animals are (such as racoons). While camping, I've found that metallic noises are something particularly irritating to them without startling them. :)

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Thats awesome. I wonder if my T5 would repel solicitors who come around my place in the same fashion? :)

Paladin

Enlightened
With my luck, the blinded skunk would have run straight into the fence, knocked himself out, and sprayed both my dogs anyway.

Too close to my own situation also, as my wife saw a mother skunk and three young ones heading down our street the other morning. Her dog is quite a handfull for her, and I can envision Shadow dragging her over to the skunk family to get "aquainted". Which would make her late for work...about a week or so at least!

Paladin