$3900 or no more chemo *update p.2*

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
The hospital has told me that unless I come up with $3900 (5% of what I owe them) I will no longer be able to receive treatments there.
They said that if I died that my life insurance would not be able to pay them off if I receive anymore treatments. They are factoring in what I would have left after my burial expenses.
I know that they do not owe me free treatment but I never thought that they would just let me die. Pisses me off that my tax dollars over the years have helped pay for so much emergency room care for others who don't have insurance. Yet they are telling me that I am not worthy of the same treatment.
I have just recently started trying to live a somewhat normal life again. I was just talking to 4sevens the other day about his E-47 mod, which everyone should check out by the way. I was looking forward to the new HDS lights and have been reading about the Streamlight Survivor LED.
I know it sounds odd but coming here everyday and seeing all the familiar names has helped me feel normal. It gives me hope.
Sorry for the rant. I am just really upset about it. It just sounds so cold.

I am not asking for help with this. All of you have done enough for me already. I will just say that if you feel compelled to help it is appreciated. Your prayers and thoughts are of course always appreciated.
Jeff

*Update page 2*

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: $3900 or no more chemo says Hospital

Hello Jeff,

What shitty news... (pardon my language).

Could you provide us with the name of the Hospital and the Administrator that is responsible for this news? Perhaps a letter writing campaign is in order. A phone number may also provide useful.

Perhaps the hospital would consider offering you employment so you could work off your bill. Kind of like washing dishes in a restraint to pay for your meal...

Hang in there.

Tom

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

Hi Tom,

I talked to a lawyer over the phone today and he said that they had every right to refuse additional treatment.
I am hoping to get them to agree to some sort of payment plan. How I am going to come up with the monthly payment I don't know. But if I can get them to agree, and they seem to be willing to discuss it Monday morning, then at least I will not need the entire $3900 right away. They are talking about $400-$600 a month though which would be impossible for me.
So I would like to hold off on any letter writing or calling until we see if something can be worked out. I need them unfortunately.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

You might try contacting a local news agency. If you can get something like this on TV the hospital might be willing to forego or reduce payments so that it doesn't look like the bad guy. Also, you might have people able/willing to help you who are watching.

LifeNRA said:
Pisses me off that my tax dollars over the years have helped pay for so much emergency room care for others who don't have insurance. Yet they are telling me that I am not worthy of the same treatment.
Exactly the reason why I've never been a big fan of Medicaid. It seems the people who pay for these programs are never able to receive help on the rare occasions they might need it.

For what it's worth I'd be in the same boat as you if I ever got seriously ill so I can sympathize. I have no medical insurance nor the means to pay any serious medical bills. A case like yours cries out on the need for some sort of universal basic health care. I wish I had the $3900 to help you.

Amonra

Enlightened

*******s, my uncle is recieving Chemo too at the moment but healthcare is free for everyone in Malta ( well at least for now ) except for the private hospitals ( which do not have the equipment anyway ).
Im not sure it is free for foreigners though but maybe if you have family here it would be. I guess you could ask the consulate.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you considered a benefit in your area? The local American Cancer Society chapter usually will help with the planning, or at least help your family and friends set it up. Even if not they are not overly hard to set up. The ones I have been involved in, two spaghetti dinners and one pancake breakfast raised considerably more than $4000 each. They were pretty much all "profit" as the halls with dinner ware were donated by various groups, one the VA, the foodstuffs were donated by local grocery stores, and they had more volunteers helping than they could use.

I pray you are able to find the funds, or they are able to find it in their hearts to help.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great idea Lee. There must be someone out there that can help. Thats crappy new Jeff. Too bad you dont live up here, healthcare for everyone.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

I appreciate the repys everyone.

I have already had 2 fundraiser dinners set up for me this year. They raised a little more than $3000 together. I have also had some churches to help me in the past year.

I have gotten a couple of request from members on how to help or where to send money. If you want to help you can send Paypal to lifenra @ bellsouth.net
If you want mail a contribution then please PM me for my address.

I want to make it clear that I am not asking or expecting any of you to send anything. I am very appreciative of everything everyone here has done for me and my family. I would not be here today if not for all of you. I am on the homestreach and I am so close to beating this. I have had a few setbacks but I am in so much better shape than I was last year. I am alive because you have helped keep me that way.
Thank you all for all of the love and support you have given me.

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened

I will donate a nice light for a silent auction/fundraiser/sale if someone has something going. Please contact me through a pm on this site. All the best to you Life. Kirk K

Edited to add Raffle as an idea as well.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I made some wooden maglites, If there is an auction of some kind - I can donate 2 of these, I made some extras and if they can help someone - all the better.

This is what they look like

done.jpg

Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

why can't you apply to get medicare or medicade? (I always forget which is which) Despite what people say about no universal health care in America, I was of the impression that given some paperwork you can get that at least.

Mark2

Enlightened

If we can put together a raffle for Jeff, I'm willing to donate three NIB L0P's including shipping wordwide.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

i know how you feel hang in there. I dont know what i would do if i was not so young (only 15) funny how people give better insurance to younger folks. i am in and out of the hospital all the time cuz i have cystic fybrosis they said i would not make it past 12 so i am very greatful to be here. and it is funny but i know what you meen when you say "I know it sounds odd but coming here everyday and seeing all the familiar names has helped me feel nomal" i too truly beleive that finding CPF has gotten my mind off my desiese. just remember to dont give up.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeff -

Call your U.S. Senator's office and speak to one of their constituent service representatives or whatever they are called. These folks are well-schooled in dealing with constituents who have issues with social security, medicaid, medicare, and the zillions of other government programs. It wouldn't hurt to ask them what you might be eligible for.

peace

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

James S said:
why can't you apply to get medicare or medicade? (I always forget which is which) Despite what people say about no universal health care in America, I was of the impression that given some paperwork you can get that at least.
I applied for medicaid and was turned down twice. I can apply for Emergency Medicaid next month and hopefully I will qualify. If I qualify for that then medicaid would pay for all my Dr. bills after a certain amount. The case worker said that the amount I would be responsible for would be around $6,700. Any amount after that would be taken care of. If I can get that then I will be much better off and very grateful. I really don't want to put a lot of hope into it though.

Will,
Those wooden Maglites are beautiful! :goodjob:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really don't want to put a lot of hope into it though.

Government agencies reward those who are persistent with the paperwork rather than those truly in need. Keep up the constant barrage of telephone calls and I truly hope they will come through for you.

I"m surprised that someone at the hospital isn't pushing your case for it with them, after all it's they that stand to get paid and loose less if they can make it work out for you. I know that the hospital here has a whole department of people who's only job is filing that sort of thing for people in order to get their bills paid.

Good Luck and keep us up to date on what happens!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dont know it if could possibly help, but if there are any Shriners on CPF, they have their own hospital and are an extremely active charity organization, perhaps they could help?

Nebula

Enlightened

LifeNRA - Your profile does not indicate where you live. Given that, what I am about to say may be something you have already considered. Forgive me if I repeat what you already know. If you are near a University town/city with a teaching hospital you can get treatment there for little or no cost (depending on your financial circumstance). Most Universities with medical shools have their own hospital or associate with a local hospital. These teaching hospitals are a well kept secret. Some of the best instructors in the country teach young medical students new and cutting-edge medicine. You may be able to get in on your financial situation alone. I realize that this may mean travel, different docs, new treatments etc., but iIf you can get into one of these hospitals and not have to worry about the bills your stress level will go down. We heal better without the stress. Please feel to pm me if you have questions. BTW - I am not a doctor. My ex (oncologist), her mother (radiologist) and sister (OBGYN) are. Good luck to you. Kirk

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

benchmade_boy said:
i know how you feel hang in there. I dont know what i would do if i was not so young (only 15) funny how people give better insurance to younger folks. i am in and out of the hospital all the time cuz i have cystic fybrosis they said i would not make it past 12 so i am very greatful to be here. and it is funny but i know what you meen when you say "I know it sounds odd but coming here everyday and seeing all the familiar names has helped me feel nomal" i too truly beleive that finding CPF has gotten my mind off my desiese. just remember to dont give up.
You are an inspiration. I could not imagine going through that at age 15. Your maturiy level is beyond your years and I am gald to know you.
I hope and pray that everything gets better for you.
God bless,
Jeff