Need suggestions for Power Options setting in XP

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with the settings and am still not happy with my computer's Power Options.

I've got Turnoff Monitor and Turnoff Harddrive set at 5 min., System Standby at 10 Min. and Hybernation at 30 Minutes.

I think that I should have Standby set at "Never" and leave the rest alone.

Anybody have any success stories on their settings?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the'hybernation' should be of no use, unless there is a virus rampage across the world.

system standby be set to 20min. turn off moniter and hardrive on 10min

unless you are gonna have the comp on 24/7 the settings above will do.

because, if you have the comp on 24/7, power is always being used...
no setting will save power...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I set mine to turn off monitor after 1 hrs (or 30 min if you may). 10 min is just way to short. you might be thinking about something and then the monitor suddently turned off, thats kinda annoying.
Since I am going with AC power, I never turn off the power (meaning HD), or go into standby. I want to be able to use my compy anytime I want it.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
relise you won't talking about laptop :p

i have my desktop set at

turn off moniter at 20min

the other 2 is NEVER :)

well...i use it until i sleep, eat or go out. so power saving option on the desktop isn't going to save power :)

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on how much you use your computer. I use mine off and on all day long.

I set the monitor to go on standby at around 20 minutes. It comes back on almost instantly. Leaving it on all the time wastes electricity and I figure it also wears out the monitor.

Having the hard drives spin down after 10 minutes is too fast, unless you only use your computer once or twice a day. Hard drives only have so many spinup and spindown cycles before they wear out.

My computers either go on standby or hibernate after two or three hours. Leaving the computers on all the time just wastes electricity. Mine resume from standby in a few seconds. Hibernate doesn't take much longer.

I rarely turn off my machines manually, unless I'm going to work on the hardware. I generally have no idea when I will be using them again. Having them go on standby automatically after a couple hours of idle time seems the perfect solution.

When I first built my machines the standby didn't seem to save much energy. The CPU still threw off heat, all the fans kept turning, etc. When I replaced the power supplies with Seasonic S-12, standby started working like it ought to on my machines with Asus mobos. No CPU heat, no fans turning, no power to the hard drives. Hard to tell they aren't powered off, but they come up where they left off in a couple of seconds.

Unfortunately automatically going on standby or hibernate isn't very reliable. Sometimes they don't do it. I haven't been able to figure out why, although I have a few suspicions.

Last edited: