which is brighter? mag2c->3xcr123a (5-cell krypton or 6-cell xenon)?

bxstylez

Enlightened
which is brighter? mag2c->3xcr123a (5-cell krypton or 6-cell xenon)?
also, whats the lumen output of the above two, and their runtime?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5 cell krypton is just a hint brighter and draws 0.75 amps vs. the 0.85 amps the 6 cell xenon draws.
This was talked about heavily last October/November.
You'll find the beamshots from the 124 post CR123A 2C MagMod and bulb info thread very interesting.
A ton of info and plenty of photos.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding definitive answer, Lumenhound.

This question has been answered incorrectly a few times lately so it's good that bxstlez asked it and you answered it.

missionaryman

Enlightened
sorry to put a spanner in the works but if you want a bright long running 2C mod using a Maglite bulb go for 2 x protected 18500 and the 5 cell xenon bulb - Bright as and Luxeon LED white. I never seen such a white incan before.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good combination to know about, missionaryman. It's a little surprising that it works but considering what you do for a living I'll make note of this as a "known good" combo. Thanks.

It looks like Greg still has some potted 1499s available. Litho123 GB CA 1499 I like both the non-frosted and frosted. The frosted is a beautiful beam. WhiteHot was having to double-click using protected cells but on the last page of that thread someone mentioned some newer protected cells would handle it. I better watch out or I'm going to talk myself into getting some more custom Halogen filled 1499s before they are all gone.

missionaryman

Enlightened
the new cell protected 18500's from AW and they'll power up the ROP low on a single click whereas the last ones needed about three clicks the new cells are great.

bxstylez

Enlightened
missionaryman:

it looks like (2) 18500's are a little longer than 3x123's..... and we all know the spring can be a little too tight and provide a lot of pressure on the batteries..

did u have to modify anything else?

looks like i'll have to spend $25 on the 2 protected batteries (with shipping), and an additional $13.50 for AW's new charger :huh:

missionaryman

Enlightened
I just snipped 1 1/2 coils off the bottom and opened the now narrower base up a little for snug fit. If I had a lathe I'd cut it down a little and let the batteries slip into the tailcap for a tiny torch.
You can also run the ROP low on this set up for about 420 torch lumens 45 minutes run time.

the rechargeables are a fairly small one off expenditure for a lot of long term savings.

bxstylez

Enlightened
whoa... 420 torch lumens with a mag5c xenon bulb?
45 min. continuous brightness using 2 protected 18500..
not bad!
is it brighter than a carley1499 bulb with a lop/mop reflector?

also.. cutting off 1 1/2 coils off the bottom would mean the base wont be making contact on the tailcap; and i'd have to remove the spare battery and its foam so the modified springs can contact the end of the tailcap for grounding??

..just wanna make sure about this setup

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
How long does the 5cell MNS bulb last before blowing on 2 protected 18500's?

missionaryman

Enlightened
Clipse: Mine lasted for ages, I got bored measuring but it did eventually start to blacken though it still worked

bxstylez: the 420ish lumens is from the ROP low (pelican 3854 Low) not the MNS 5 cell, expect around 220 from that one. The spring sits in the normal spring seat but it's just shorter, the spare bulb carrier remains in-tact. You just got to widen the base of the spring a little to fit in its original spot