Mag 1AAA vs. LED

Duffy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I'm in need of a truly tiny flashlight to carry "just in case." I won't use it much at all, but like the idea of having one.

The size of the "Solitaire" from Mag is about right. How does it compare, in terms of brightness, quality, and durability, to LEDs like the Lightwave Pocket-Bright or Photon Microlight?

Thanks.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Your best bet is an ARC AAA. The light output is higher than a solitare and its of course whiter. A solitare will be able to project a small well-defined spot of light further than an arc but that little spot of light is practically useless. The ARC has more spill light and less throw but its brighter overall. Also voltage regulated to maintain a constant brightness for about 6 hours. Much more expensive of course. I think a solitaire is only around 6 bucks....

The only solitare I ever had was very flaky and flickered a lot. I dont think the solitaire is known for its excellent quality. The arc is practically indestructable.

Hmm I just noticed that you wont "use it much" - If that is the case a photon may be better since the lithium cells it uses will stay fresh much longer than a aaa battery.. It too is very durable since its case it tough and the switch mechanism is very simple - at least on the photon I and II. The photon with fresh cells will be about as bright as the ARC maybe a tad brighter but will fade in intensity much more quickly since it is not voltage regulated. Its a bit cheaper than an arc though.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Duffy and welcome to the forum. A simple answer to you is buy the ARC flashlight.
About the same size as the Mag BUT brighter and much tougher and lots more. Cost is 3X Mag but you get what you pay for. Most of the members here have them. Visit some of the links listed for reviews. A real eye opener.
grin.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
Don't know why I'm even posting as it's already been said...ARC AAA is the only way to go. If it's just used in emergencies you'll need to swap batteries every 6 months or so just to be safe. Wouldn't want to hear about any battery acid leakage in the AAA.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the LED. I got the one made by ASP (blue LED). I use it in the same capacity as you described. It more than does the job. As bright as it is, get the white LED one, plus the spring clip makes it easy to carry. Just my $0.02

machspass

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's been said already, but I hafta say it again. The Arc AAA is the best flashlight of its type out there on the market. It's bright, the batteries last a long time, well regulated light output, and indestructable. It's my personal favorite, and is always in my pocket for when I need it.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

GO ARC!!!

Spidey82

Enlightened
Arc AAA is the best.......
no doubt. but some initally cost is needed....

trust me once u got your arc.... u wouldn't be using it once for a while...
smile.gif
grin.gif

anyone to second that??

Linfeng

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL - actually when getting my first ARC AAA "LE" I just kept flashing it around just for fun - highly recommended !

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
artar,

I ordered through Wiliam@TTS in December together with some SF product and together with a nice Camillus CUDA EDC knife things were shipped into germany by a friend from the US.

I think René in CH ordered from TTS too and had it shipped straight - William is very flexible and reasonable with shipping overseas (also some other CPF member in the UK got things through him) and with the ARC AAA he can just use normal postal services as its so small and nicely fits in any standard envelope. Just email him at [email protected] - he´s also on CPF under the name of TTS and having # 98 - he can also be reached at 280-820-6601 or fax 281-448-9940.

Klaus

Duffy

Newly Enlightened
Wow, what a responsive and informed group! I've never seen so many quick replies.

I'm sold. Arc AAA it is. Thanks, everyone.

--Duffy

artar

Enlightened
thank you klaus,

i cant decide between arc aaa, photon 3 and this 8 led wave from globetrotter.
when decision falls to arc i'll follow your tip.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I carry both the ARC AAA and Photon Microlight 2. That way, if I drop my keys with the Arc into a mud puddle or snowbank, I can use the Photon attached to my Swiss Army knife to find them.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
A lot of ARC fans here, and rightly so. But it's not what I keep on my key ring.
rolleyes.gif
I prefer the Photon 2 because it's bright, it's MUCH smaller than the ARC, and also because you get 3 times as much runtime (I've been averaging 5 hours with the ARC vs. 17 hours with the P2). The ARC-AAA is a fantastic little light, but it's the Photon that I use most. Sure, the Photons use batteries that aren't as readily available, but they still only end up costing less than 50 cents each from online suppliers(less than a AAA even
tongue.gif
) Plus, they're lithium batteries so they don't get drained super-fast in cold temperatures or if it's being thermally cycled (like being left out in a car, warmed then cooled repeatedly). On top of that, the P2 can be had for as little as $10...roughly half what my ARC cost. I've got Photon 3's and they're fun to play with, and have lots of great functions, but again, it's the P2 that I prefer for my keychain.

Cheers!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plinko:
A lot of ARC fans here, and rightly so. But it's not what I keep on my key ring.
rolleyes.gif
I prefer the Photon 2 because it's bright, it's MUCH smaller than the ARC, and also because you get 3 times as much runtime (I've been averaging 5 hours with the ARC vs. 17 hours with the P2). The ARC-AAA is a fantastic little light, but it's the Photon that I use most. Sure, the Photons use batteries that aren't as readily available, but they still only end up costing less than 50 cents each from online suppliers(less than a AAA even
tongue.gif
) Plus, they're lithium batteries so they don't get drained super-fast in cold temperatures or if it's being thermally cycled (like being left out in a car, warmed then cooled repeatedly). On top of that, the P2 can be had for as little as $10...roughly half what my ARC cost. I've got Photon 3's and they're fun to play with, and have lots of great functions, but again, it's the P2 that I prefer for my keychain.

Cheers!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel the same way. I carry a Photon II on my keychain instead of an ARC AAA mainly because it's smaller. It doesn't get used much anyway, since I also carry either an Inova X5 or Surefire E2.
wink.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened
After carrying a Mag Solitaire for over 8 years on my keychain, I replaced it with an Arc-AAA LE in September. I was thrilled when I put them side by side and saw that the LE is shorter than the Solitaire.

I also like using AAA batteries in the LE. It's a good way to use up the batteries from my pager when they get too weak. Couldn't do that with the Solitaire -- the light was too dim.

The HA finish is also very nice on the LE. After 5 months in my pocket, it still looks new. The Solitaire was once black but is now black and silver and smooth -- the knurling is all gone!

Lastly, I also have a Photon clone (blue) that I always carry. It's the back-up to the LE.
cool.gif

Spidey82

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plinko:
I prefer the Photon 2 because it's bright, it's MUCH smaller than the ARC, and also because you get 3 times as much runtime (I've been averaging 5 hours with the ARC vs. 17 hours with the P2).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

is your p2 anywhere as bright as the ac after 15 constant min???
how abt an hour??
i do hang my p2 on my phone... but is because the arc is too big to be there...

i use to flash my p2 often (for fun)
but after i got my arc, it the most(use ot be E2) used light since than(2 wks).

the arc "disappear" when u don't need it, and will "appear" when u require of it...
smile.gif

ps... if u were comparing with batt supplier online, AAA can be as cheat as 5¢ at cheapbattery.com
Linfeng

remuen

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artar:
i cant decide between arc aaa, photon 3 and this 8 led wave from globetrotter.
when decision falls to arc i'll follow your tip.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My decision would be ARC LE. And I would buy it at TTS as Klaus already said. William will send it to you in flat rate envelope which will keep the shipment cost down to only $5

Darell

Flashaholic
By now it is obvious. You need a Photon and an Arc AAA. You'll find that they both have their uses. I have plenty of both. The Photons are just scattered around everywhere for backup, the Arcs are used every day.