118 LED torches... any good?

supersharpshoot

Newly Enlightened
are those 118 led torches any good on £bay?

are you allowed to mention £bay on here? if not I apologise as I'm a new member.:huh:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, Lots of people mention ebay here, these multiled Led torches cast a broad flood like beam, great for wide area illumination and they are quite bright, the quality is ok but not the best with some of those lights,

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
They eat alkalines pretty fast so rechargeable Ni-MH cells will be a must if you intend to put a lot of wear and tear on one.
The most common word you'll hear from people when you turn one of those showerhead flashlights on for the first time is "Wow!"
If you buy one and don't like it you could put it to use as a meat pounder in the kitchen.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
those 100+ led lights suck on ebay since they use AA, AA batteries just wernt designed to power those, what they should have done was use 4 D batteries, or as 270 said, a high cap li-ion or lipoly battery.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I have a 100LED light ... but before I got to use it at night, I unscrewed the head which pulled two wires off. I still haven't found a friend with a soldering iron to fix it. :(

So, consider these monster "shower-head" lights as fragile novelties.

Concept, they have even a 128 LED light out there. ;)

Illum

Flashaholic
Bror Jace said:
Concept, they have even a 128 LED light out there. ;)

um...i've seen posts of 160 leds before, no pics tho....:ohgeez:

they still use 5mm leds, one of these days when they start using 3mms you'd see something like 300 LED showerheads:grin2:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
All these LEDs mounted on a flat board is OK ... but I'd like to see the mounting plate be slightly convex for a better flood effect ... especially at close range. :)

I had a 28 LED version. 5mm LEDs dissipates heat down their leads and with that many on the same circuit board, it actually gets hot enough you can smell the solder cooking... I can't imagine how hot it can get inside with a 118 LED setup

marxs

Enlightened
just buy a good lux v luxeon, like the L4/L2. my experience is most of these multiled lights are ok, but if you get a luxeon it just blows it away completely...plus its smaller.

mark

Illum

Flashaholic
Handlobraesing said:
I had a 28 LED version. 5mm LEDs dissipates heat down their leads and with that many on the same circuit board, it actually gets hot enough you can smell the solder cooking... I can't imagine how hot it can get inside with a 118 LED setup

I think if theres ever a 200+ LED versions Ill only use them after I left then in the freezer for awhile...

the cluster led's solder smells odd, its not the typical solder i can buy down here...and they melt easily....i can tell the difference since I use a 75 watt solder iron and some of my store bought solder will smoke before they melt.

I tried modding a $2 ebay replica of Advancemart Ghost II UV...no dice, melted solder all over, burnt my finger and melted the circuit board

<----n00b to modding

Illum

Flashaholic
Concept said:
Yes an Umbrella good for a nice even 1000 leds you think?

1000 leds in an umbrella....sounds like your trying to retrofit this into led :crackup:

actually if its 1000 luxeon dies with a good 5" thick heatsink probably....unless you can have fans cooling it. :lolsign:

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any runtime plots with a shower head and a Li-ion battery pack. The multiled lights might make an excellent bike light :)

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
supersharpshoot said:
WoW!! thanks for all the replies. Think I'll steer clear of those torches then!

They don't put out as much light but there's a 49 led light on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wholesale-4X-49...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) that's of much better quality. They use 3 AA and there's a high and low power setting. They're available insilver & black. There's also a 51 led version (http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-4-X-51-L...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) that comes in blue black silver & red if you care about the color.
You can buy them one at a time or in batches of four (for the 51 led versions youget one of each color. For the 49 led it's usually 4 black or four silver).