How many LS3 units mfgd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm just curious how many Arc LS3 units got manufactured...

I heard about 3 dozen but have seen serials of up to #51....

Thanks !

cy

Flashaholic
ls3 4.JPG

ls3.JPG

mosport

Enlightened
Is it possible that there are gaps in LS3 serial numbers? Perhaps some did not meet ARC's quality standards for 'firsts' and the 'seconds' were never released, accounting for Nekomane's high serial?

Here's some good LS3 reading from the past:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20387

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16718

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16709

Just wondering where you heard about the 3 dozen figure from George? Got me curious now too.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
mosport said:
Just wondering where you heard about the 3 dozen figure from George? Got me curious now too.

It's there on the first post in your last link :)
Gransee said:
There is only about 3 dozen of these available. Once they sell out, we have
absolutely no plans to make any more. These are being sold direct via our website only.
I have another LS-3 #44 and have always wondered what happened to the S/Ns in between.
I was an Arc fanatic a few years ago (well, still am but am just waiting for some new products) and
this has been one of the unsolved mysteries even after scouring the Arc forums.

Hey, nice to see some long gone members in those threads too...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there were about 40 or less made. I don't have the exact number. There are holes in serial numbers because not all met the QC standard and so were scrapped.

The most unusual LS3 was one I made for Merri that has a 5w dental blue luxeon. She brought it to the most recent phx GT. She also brought it on a recent camping trip. I bugged our fellow campers with it. It tends to mess with your vision. The rocks in the area we went camping flouresce (or reflect oddly) so the effect at night it unique.

Peter

Last edited:

Doug

Enlightened
Bah? LS3? I did not know there was a LS2! I have 3 2's, what is the difference? I know about the Arc4's.....

Doug

Enlightened
Blue dental, eh? I have seen that blue, very, royal, or "plastic" looking, I like it, also, found this nifty link about blue dental luxeons:
http://www.lumileds.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=15

found the above by searching google with "dental blue luxeon"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dental+blue+luxeon&btnG=Google+Search

Gransee said:
Yes, there were about 40 or less made. I don't have the exact number. There are holes in serial numbers because not all met the QC standard and so were scrapped.

The most unusual LS3 was one I made for Merri that has a 5w dental blue luxeon. She brought it to the most recent phx GT. She also brought it on a recent camping trip. I bugged our fellow campers with it. It tends to mess with your vision. The rocks in the area we went camping flouresce (or reflect oddly) so the effect at night it unique.

Peter

cy

Flashaholic
ARC LS1 and LS2 with both cr123 lgihts with a low dome one watt luxeon.

LS3 was world's first production 5watt Luxeon light and used a 2x CR123 body. most had a puke green tint. simular to how most low domes had a yellowish tint or greenies.

it's incredeble how far were have come in a few short years. now days if we don't get a perfect white tint....

Doug said:
Bah? LS3? I did not know there was a LS2! I have 3 2's, what is the difference? I know about the Arc4's.....

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the LS3 typically was a bit too green for my tastes. It was partly because of the bins we could get back then (remember it was the first production 5w) and the fact the LED was underdriven.

I didn't like the beam it produced and there were other things I didn't like (hard to remember them off hand) and so I stopped manufacturing it.

Peter

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug said:
Blue dental, eh? I have seen that blue, very, royal, or "plastic" looking
UV peaks at about 350nm-360nm...
Royal Blue peaks just below 450nm and "regular" blue at about 460nm...

Check DS45.pdf on the Lumileds site also...

Back to the LS3 topic...

So Peter, the LS3s that got "scratched", where did they "scratch to" ?

:lolsign:

trivergata

Enlightened
there you go again, Bombelman, working another deal..................If they are laying around as empty shells, I'm in for one, too!

Josh

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still on the LS3 topic...

Peter, do you know what (voltage) bins were used in the LS3's and what the drive current was set to ?

Also, there were a few Arc4s made with 2x123 tubes,
what were used in those heads ? (currents/emitters)

Thanks !!

rugbymatt

Enlightened
trivergata said:
there you go again, Bombelman, working another deal..................If they are laying around as empty shells, I'm in for one, too!

Josh

Now I am sure there is no line for these, but if by some chance there was I would love to be included.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:

Here is a pic of what it looks like:
This is a pic showing an Arc LS3 head (#51) opened up.
The emitter is a 4-die LuxV. There is also an optic inside the head.
(not sure which optic it is)
I have a WW0S emitter, but would it make sense to replace the stock emitter with this WW0S ? And what about current ?

Cheers ! :grin2:

IMG_8527c2_resize.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.