How Easy is it to Mod an L6?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a different Lux V or even a Lux III?

Has anyone tried a nicely binned Lux III in these? The reason that I ask is that I was completely impressed with McGizmo's 27LT light and I wonder how well the L6 reflector will do with the Lux III... a U-bin of course.

-Goatee

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replied to your email and repeat the answer for everyone's benefit. The Lux III will give you a pretty impressive thrower in the L6 at the expense of output. The U bin is the only thing I'd consider (except maybe Creee XR-E) and I'd bump up the drive to an amp or so.

However, a W-bin driven to an amp in the KL6 is one hard to beat package. I'm not going to quote lumens with that setup but if you have a Surefire 3 cell light with a P91, you'll appreciate how far LED's have come in the past five or six years. Yes, it's that bright.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,

Thank you for both the email reply and the reply to this post. I have been thinking about this since I shot you the email and I am pretty excited at the prospects. I am leaning more toward keeping the drive levels the same and changing the emitter to a better binned Lux V.

Thank you also for your quick response!

I really have to say that although I am a big fan of Lux V lights, the 27LT from McGizmo made me see the light regarding the potential of the 2 x 123 cell Lux III lights.

The reason that I was kind of sour on the performance of 2 x 123 cell lights with a Lux III was that I was underwhelmed with the performance of the Gladius. To me, the McLux III PD and the HDS lights put out comparable amounts of light and the runtime's were not that inferior to the reported runtimes of the Gladius. The Gladius was a fine light, I just felt that the output was so much less impressive than the Surefire Lux V lights.

This was the reason that I wanted to know about the Lux III.

-Goatee