using Torpark for completely anynomous websurfing

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
So who's using Torpark for anonymous websurfing?

www.schneier.com/blog (scroll about 1/2 way down the page)

"A group of computer hackers and human rights workers have launched a specially-crafted version of Firefox that claims to give users complete anonymity when they surf the Web.

Dubbed "Torpark" and based on a portable version of Firefox 1.5.0.7, the browser will run from a USB drive, so it leaves no installation tracks on the PC. It protects the user's privacy by encrypting all in- and outbound data, and also anonymizes the connection by passing all data through the TOR network, which masks the true IP address of the machine."

www.torrify.com

www.mozilla.com/firefox

It seems to work awesome. Very easy to install and use. If you download Torpark, you might want to try evilshare (that worked better for me than freehaven or quicksharing) www.torrify.com/download.php

Downsides: it's a little slower than IE or just running FF. I believe that it is technically possible that if you use a password while on Torpark that some could intercept it.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have not used Torpark but have been using Tor with Firefox and the "Enable Tor" one-click extension. It's very nice, albeit somewhat slow.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried the program and then went to grc.com. Torpark seems to open up ports on my PC that remain closed when running a normal browser. Five ports were reported open, and one was reported closed. The rest are stealth. When using firefox normally, all ports are stealth. Hmmm. smells kinda fishy.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
I remember many years ago when an anonymous surfing service was widely used by people not wanting to be tracked. It was located in Sweden. A few years after it had been running someone found out that it was in fact run by Sweden's version of the CIA.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
gorn said:
I remember many years ago when an anonymous surfing service was widely used by people not wanting to be tracked. It was located in Sweden. A few years after it had been running someone found out that it was in fact run by Sweden's version of the CIA.

Same thing here, there are/were a few of that type of site that were, in fact, being run by the FBI.