Dorcy Super 1 Watt, locking out

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Kinda new here so I don't know if this is old news or not, but I recently figured out that my Dorcy Super 1 Watt (Cr123) can be locked out by loosening the head a bit. Hope this helps someone else.:grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
MojoLight said:
Kinda new here so I don't know if this is old news or not, but I recently figured out that my Dorcy Super 1 Watt (Cr123) can be locked out by loosening the head a bit. Hope this helps someone else.:grin2:

loosening the head will cause the regulator to not function if you screw it back in:ohgeez:, and it will work if you dump out the battery, screw the head back in, then reinstall the battery.

both my Dorcy 1 watt does this...i dont know if its normal :thinking:

btw, welcome to the forum! :wave:
the dorcy 1 watt is a pretty good light to start your collection with...and I suggest you leave the forum at once unless you want to end up with an entire regiment of flashlights:laughing:

I came to the forum in April with a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon and now look at this mess...thats $300+ worth of used lights at bargain price...not to mention ones not statedin my signature:ohgeez:

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
loosening the head will cause the regulator to not function if you screw it back in:ohgeez:, and it will work if you dump out the battery, screw the head back in, then reinstall the battery.

both my Dorcy 1 watt does this...i dont know if its normal :thinking:

btw, welcome to the forum! :wave:
the dorcy 1 watt is a pretty good light to start your collection with...and I suggest you leave the forum at once unless you want to end up with an entire regiment of flashlights:laughing:

I came to the forum in April with a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon and now look at this mess...thats $300+ worth of used lights at bargain price...not to mention ones not statedin my signature:ohgeez:

Thanks for the info...but how would I tell if it's out of regulation. I tried the light with head unscrewed and then light on, and then removed batts - screwed head back in - replaced batts and it seemed the same brightness.

What does yours do to indicate it's out of regulation? Just curious...learning about these new lights.

Illum

Flashaholic
MojoLight said:
Thanks for the info...but how would I tell if it's out of regulation. I tried the light with head unscrewed and then light on, and then removed batts - screwed head back in - replaced batts and it seemed the same brightness.

What does yours do to indicate it's out of regulation? Just curious...learning about these new lights.

um....for this peticular light its not that obvious, according to Quickmean's discharge curve
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_super1w.htm
at 2 hours 23 minutes the light hits 50% output, but the curve is so smooth your eyes will adapt to the decrease in brightness so you dont notice it, some lights have that obvious decline....where the light suddenly dims.

i use my dorcys to run half emptied cells fron xenon lights and personally I cant tell, unless i put another one on the side with fresh batteries.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_a2.htm
heres a good example for the "drop-out-of-regulation curve" see where the runtiime nears 50 minutes you see the "big plunge" but with semi-regulated lights [boost circuit] its pretty hard to see the difference, unless the batteries are less than 25% or so capacity.