Problem: Dim Lightwave 4000

BruiseLee

Enlightened
My Lightwave 4000 has suddenly become very dim. So dim in fact that even with all 10 leds on you couldn't read a newspaper placed 1 inch away. Of course I checked the batteries with a multimeter, and each had over 1.5 volts. I changed the batteries just to be sure and put in new ones, same problem.

I cleaned all the contact surfaces of the flashlight and that didn't help either. The switch seems to be working fine, on and off is no problem. Any idea what the problem might be? All 10 leds do go on and are evenly lit, but the output level is pathetic. I never dropped the light, and it has no visible physical damage inside or out.

Bruise

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked if there is damage to the dropping resistors in the light
one of them could have gone open circuit

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Ok, here's something pretty lame. I was working on my LW 4000 trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I noticed that when I put it down on my workbench it got brighter for a moment. So I rapped the head on the bench and it got just barely bright enough to read by, and stayed that way. So, then I rapped the flashlight even harder on the workbench and now it is actually bright again!

Obviously, something is loose - I'm planning to take the thing apart one of these days. But, I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the Lightwave 4000 now. I bought it specifically for emergencies because of its extremely long run time. Because of it's large size and the fact that its really heavy, it's probably the flashlight that gets the least use (well, I turn on my Surefire the least because of the price of Lithium 123's and the 120 lumen lamp assembly, but I carry the thing almost everyday). I really only used it during rare power outages, and to work on my car in the driveway when I was too lazy to pull out a work light. I never dropped the thing, and for it to fail like that with so little use is disappointing. It's acting like one of those hardware store 2D flashlights I got when I was a kid in the early 70's.

To make matters even worst, I have to screw the head and body together pretty tight in order for the flashlight to make good contact. When you do that, the head and the body virtually weld themselves together even though I've lubricated the threads and gasket with grease. I'm a fairly strong guy, and I can BARELY unscrew the thing. There's NO WAY a normal woman or elderly person would have the strength to unscrew this flashlight!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bruise,

Just pick up an SMJLED bulb, a 2d host of your choice, a 4 pack of D cells along with the two D cells in the flashlight and you'll be ready for a long outtage.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
"If it doesn't work, get new one" It's the flashaholics solution to all of life's problems :laughing:

But seriously, you might as well take it apart and see if there are any broken solders or burnt out resistors before buying a new one.