Mag Charger Options

Muddy3

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and still not sure on forum etiquette! I have various questions about upgrading my mag charger I bought recently and was hoping someone out there might know a thing or two about the magchargers.

I have spent hours upon hours reading the threads posted by various other flasholics on this subject and am in awe of the expertise some people have on this subject.

I would like to get a better run time from my mag charger and have considered buying the 4500mah battery from the following site
http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/flashlights.html#14343

Would this battery provide longer runs times and if so roughly how long? Most of the threads/posts I have read are dated 2004 and mention the WA01160 bulb. I can't find any recent GB on this and am not sure where I could obtain such a wicked bulb! Does anyone know of anywhere they might still sell it. I've checked WA's web site and it would appear that they still produce them. If I could get one of those bulbs what would be the run time with the new batt pack?

Sorry, last question, I promise! Can the standard mag charger wall charger be used with the batt pack (4500mah)from the above site and if so how should it be charged?

Once again, thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Yours, a complete an utter idiot who understands very little about amps/volts and such like!

Cheers,

Clark (UK,London)

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light-Edge is where I picked up my 1160's. I know there have also been a couple of Group Buys (see list of forum areas) for bulbs but I'm not sure if there are any going on right now. IIRC, the thread title was something like "Popular Bi-pin bulbs" or somthing similar.

Edit: Here's the thread. Litho123 has them for 3/$15, 4/$20, or lightly frosted 3/$19.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Muddy and welcome at CPF:)

Yes, you can use this batt pack and the wall charger can handle it. The charging time should be about 24 hours.

With this pack you gain runtime of your MC, about twice of the stock pack.

But if you will change the bulb into a brighter one, the longer runtime advantage is gone.

So it's up to you what you want. Longer runtime with same brightness or about same runtime with more brightness.

Best regards

____
Tom

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
Yes, you can use this batt pack and the wall charger can handle it. The charging time should be about 24 hours.

869070 - Streamlight / Maglite rechargeable flashlight battery SLX35 - 6.0 Volt, 4500mAh NIMH

That battery pack it for Streamlight SL-35. It's much longer than Magcharger battery. I don't understand why they have put Maglite on the description.

Muddy3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for getting back. That has answered those questions! Not sure why the link I sent said it was ok for Mag chargers. The item I was looking at was item code:869070

I'll call the company later today and get some more detail and double check to see that they fit without any pain in the ar#e mods. If anyone is interested I'll post what they say back in this thread.

Once again, cheers for the info and making a complete newbie very welcome.
:grin2:

Mark

Muddy3

Newly Enlightened
An update. No I still haven't phoned that Batt company but I have also been looking at the following site.

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/battery_packs_5_cell.htm

Bottom of page is another direct replacement for the Mag Charger if anyone else is interested. This time is specifically says about being a replacement for the Maglite. I spoke with the guy who runs it and he was as helpful as anything.

Model: 1/2D3500HPH5-BT

Cheers DonShock for the bulb link. Looks like I'm going to order a few to save on shipping as there is no where in the UK that I can find that stocks them.

Blazer

Enlightened
Upgraded my MagCharger a while ago with the WA1160 and the 5 NiMH 4000mAh 1/2Dcells and it's been working great since. Simple and effective upgrade. Oh yeah, don't forget to upgrade the bulb socket with a high temp socket (I used a ceramic one from Fivemega) or the bulb will melt the plastic socket that comes stock with the MC.

Muddy3

Newly Enlightened
Yeah i read something about the melting in some other thread. The problem is that I've read so many threads I've lost where I am. I'm just getting use to this forum so I will try to save any threads of relevance.

I suppose running the modified mag 10 - 20 minutes at a time shouldn't hurt should it? The reason i ask is that I don't particularly want to take my mag apart considering it cost me £100.00 (US$187.00). Yes I know I paid allot and could have got it cheaper from the US but I was so excited (sad) I wanted to play with it asap!! As my knowledge and skills are limited re: mag, I might avoid the lamp base upgrade unless of course you know how to do it.

Mark.

Blazer

Enlightened
Muddy3 said:
Yeah i read something about the melting in some other thread. The problem is that I've read so many threads I've lost where I am. I'm just getting use to this forum so I will try to save any threads of relevance.

I suppose running the modified mag 10 - 20 minutes at a time shouldn't hurt should it? The reason i ask is that I don't particularly want to take my mag apart considering it cost me £100.00 (US$187.00). Yes I know I paid allot and could have got it cheaper from the US but I was so excited (sad) I wanted to play with it asap!! As my knowledge and skills are limited re: mag, I might avoid the lamp base upgrade unless of course you know how to do it.

Mark.

If I can do it, you can do it. It's real simple. Basically you just unscrew the two parts of the MagCharger body use a 2mm allen wrench to undo the two screws holding the socket, replace it with the ceramic plug (socket) and put the screws back in, then put the two parts of the body back together. If you're going to do it, order a ceramic bi-pin slug along with the WA1160 blubs (maybe from different dealers or the same dealer, depends where you find them). when you get everything pm me and I'll try and walk you through it. or post here and we'll lend a hand.

Muddy3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Blazer.

I'll order one as soon as and have a go. If I get stuck I'll PM you as suggested asking for your expertise!

Cheers.

Mark.

Latest posts