So I just raided the flashlight section at Walmart...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a 2AA MagLED, a 4C/D cell LED upgrade module for my 2D Maglite (I'm running 2x123s' plus a dummy cell in it), and a Dorcy 1AAA because of course, thats' all you need in life. ;) Impressions are as follows:

2AA MagLED - I was actually quite impressed with it. I must have won the ol' lottery cuz its very white. Whiter and brighter than my 2AA Minimag with the TLE-5 Ministar2 module! I also took the UCL out of that one and put it in the new one. I put Energizer e2 batts in there, but doesn't seem any brighter, probably just get more runtime. I now consider it my new back-up/loaner light. I'm also wondering about possible mods for it, such as cutting it down, and boring it out to fit 1x123a.... I also can't wait for someone to come out with a textured aluminum reflector for it.

4C/D LED upgrade module - Not as good as I had hoped. However I can't pass too much judgement until I get a new reflector for my 2D mag. I got glo-powder all over it. :( I'll have to order a new reflector from flashlightking.com....

Dorcy 1AAA - Pathetic, but I knew that going in. Horribly blue. I got it to do some modding. Suggestions anyone?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
Dorcy 1AAA - Pathetic, but I knew that going in. Horribly blue. I got it to do some modding. Suggestions anyone?

theres always the unclipped SMJLED if you have a solder iron handy:grin2:

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
KDOG3, just ask around on BST for a new mag reflector. People have TONS of them floating around. I'm sure they'd give you a couple for a couple bucks, if not free.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:

Which one did you get? The new ones with the dome lens or with the older style lens? The latter is quite a bit better. :thumbsup:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Put a different colored LED in it. I put a blue LED from a toy in one, and now I have a blue light whenever I need one. It looks almost UV, some colors reflect like it.
Its cheaper to mod the little Dorcys then buy Peaks or Infinities of different colors.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
coldsolderjoint said:
Does your walmart have a large stock of the reflectorized versions?

Of what? The Mags? No not really. I was hoping to find a stock 2C in there, but they didn't have any....

InfidelCastro

Banned
You know I didn't even realize it was possible to bore out a Minimag and put a CR123A in there. I figured a CR123A was wider than the Minimag tube, but it's not, it does just barely poke its head into the rear end of the tube. It would need to be cut down some also for the 2 CR123A's. I'm sure not if the Minimag tube could stand up to the boring out structurally. If it did, it would be pretty thin. But I'm sure there's somebody out there doing it now in the custom/mods forum, I just haven't seen it myself.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
You know I didn't even realize it was possible to bore out a Minimag and put a CR123A in there. I figured a CR123A was wider than the Minimag tube, but it's not, it does just barely poke its head into the rear end of the tube. It would need to be cut down some also for the 2 CR123A's. I'm sure not if the Minimag tube could stand up to the boring out structurally. If it did, it would be pretty thin. But I'm sure there's somebody out there doing it now in the custom/mods forum, I just haven't seen it myself.

Yeah I just was playin' around with that and saw that the body would be too thin...dang.

Isn't there 3V rechargeable AAs?