Minimag 2AA LED opinions from a newbie

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
After reading numerous posts about the new Minimag LEDs, I decided on the 2AA version because of its ability to be carried in a pocket easily. I also wanted something that would outdo my current lights without breaking the bank. My current lights are 2 minimags with nite ize LEDs, River Rock 2AA and RR 2AAA, and a Ray O Vac 2D Kryton light. I'll confine my comparisons of the minimag 2AA LED to the RR2AA, RR 2AAA and krypton 2D. The nite ize LED doesn't come close the minimag LED in any way. (But I still like it.)

Ok, now for my comparisons. In spot mode, it comes nowhere near the throw of my 2D light by any means. My RR2AA comes close the the minimag LED's ability, but is not as tight at long range. The RR2AAA has surprising throw for its size, but not as much as the minimag LED. And in flood mode, my RR2AAA has a wider flood pattern than the minimag LED, but not as bright. So that's a plus. The RR2AA as most of you know, is very narrow beamed and has almost no sidespill, so the new minimag LED outfloods this one. As for my 2D kryton light, which has an adjustable spot/flood, the minimag LED is 10x better, without all the rings and dark areas of the 2D.

I'd like to point out that the minimag LED also has a spot/flood adjustment head, but it is nearly useless! When the light first comes on, it's in flood mode, but turning the head a little more adjusts it into spot mode. But to my eye, there's hardly a difference between the 2 modes. With my regular mini mag with the standard bulb, there is an obvious difference between the 2 modes. But not with Mag's newest creation!

Overall, the minimag LED is brighter in flood mode than all of my other lights, with a note that it's flood is not as wide the RR2AAA. In spot mode, it is second only to my 2D krypton light, (and a DISTANT second at that!) The color of the minimag LED's light is closer to white than the others, so it's easier and more natural to see with, especially outdoors.

I guess this light will be a keeper for me, although I had doubts in the beginning about whether it was worth the price compared to my other lights (I paid only $10 for the RR2AA on sale). It will make a good carry light when I need something brighter than the RR2AAA.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just confirmed that yes, it shuts off abruptly when batteries are drained. The other thing is, don't mix alkaline and 'heavy duty', they were down to only 1.3V but wouldn't turn on.

The batteries that it drains even to 1.15V and won't work with still work in StreamLight Lux. Jr. , although not for long.