Best Disposable Flashlight.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
At the risk of possibly angering CPFers who would never use one, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

So...... What's your favorite disposable light?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite throw away are the ones at the cash registers you know the kind that firemen tape to their helmets. It's pretty hefty because of the battery and it's decent for levels of light, plus it stores well.

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
I tend to treat the little coin-cell lights that Lighthound sells as disposable. At $1 a throw its hardly worth buying new batteries. I just salvage the LED and the rest goes in the bin

Simon

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of even further angering CPF'ers ...
Probably the MiniMag LEDs, since it would pretty much be a disposable light to the mainstream consumer if the LED burnt out and Mag doesn't warrant it. Not that I have anything against the product, I really like it and will continue to buy more of them in the future (and probably also treat them as consumables, if the LED should die after an exceptionally long life.)

More likely though, you're probably referring to the throwaways that are molded with batteries. While I do like the Garrity, I'd be more inclined to get the 9LED lights that are in the 4 pack at Costco just to be environmentally friendly, since for about the same price, the batteries can be replaced in the 9LED light.

Illum

Flashaholic
any light is basically disposable...if one were so inclined, he'd buy Surefires and use them as disposables...:ohgeez:

Honestly, I never used or bought a disposable light before...:awman:

infection0

Newly Enlightened
disposable light: Photon clone keychain lights! Use and chuck for around $14 for 20 of them.

better disposable light: 8LED Xnova or 12LED Ghost II for around $6 each

bigfoot

Enlightened
tebore said:
My favorite throw away are the ones at the cash registers you know the kind that firemen tape to their helmets. It's pretty hefty because of the battery and it's decent for levels of light, plus it stores well.

Methinks this is what you're talking about...

http://www.garritylites.com/page73.html

(Oooh... I see they have an LED version now)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To be honest, my oldest light is a 2-D cell orange & black plastic from GE. I consider it disposable because the bulb is an inca, and there's no way to replace it without destroying the light. Its output is actually quite good. Better than most $1.99 flashlights.

I bought it several years ago (still going strong) one night from a convenience store, when I really needed a light...... back when I didn't even have a keychain light! :faint:

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing me to that review!

I can see that I'd be picking up the incan. version for brightness.

hopkins

Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, a simple test would be to buy both versions of the
disposable Garrity life lite and place them both side-by-side in the kitchen drawer or wherever you keep the utility flashes and over time see which one you grab first when needed, which gets lost first, dies first, etc.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'd hafta' vote for the Fauxtons, also.

Very small and easily carried.
They will never get in your way.

Simple to pass out to others (non-EDC'ers) when they're needed. :candle:

And so inexpensive, no need to ask for their return.

:whistle:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fauxtons.
They are technically serviceable, but they are so cheap it's more expensive to buy replacement batteries in shops than to buy more fauxtons. You can get CR2016 cells from DX for $0.3 the pair, but the quality seems to be very bad.

bones_708

Enlightened
I would have to say the Garrity.

I have to say I hate the new look tho. That may make me change to something else right there.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot to add: only problem with the fauxtons is that they have no way to lock them off, so if you put them somewhere with a lot of other things they can get squeezed and waste most of their battery life illuminating the innards of a bag.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fauxtons.
They are technically serviceable, but they are so cheap it's more expensive to buy replacement batteries in shops than to buy more fauxtons. You can get CR2016 cells from DX for $0.3 the pair, but the quality seems to be very bad.

still worth ripping the leds out:sssh: