Longest Throw LED flashlight

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Hello everyone:) I have plenty of LED flashlights, but, unfortunately, none of them can throw far. To my knowledge, LED flashlights mostly are FLOOD lights.
Does anyone know about LED flashlights that really have long throw? Comments?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... Good Throwers would be Streamlight ProPolymer, Mcgizmo's HD45 LuxIII or Lux V,LED Logic Striker VG (THROW Monster), Surefire L6,Night Ops Gladius.

The HD45 Throws wonderfully and so does the Streamlight. The Striker VG is also known for its awesome throw. You Should look up Flashlightreviews.com.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many Luxeon flashlights are decent throwers. To my knowledge you will not find any "normal" (like 5mm) LED lights that have good throw.

Some Luxeons with decent throw:

Dorcy Super 3W lantern
Diamond 3W Maglite drop-ins (Model DB-3W for Maglite 3-cells)
The Maglite MagLEDs are good throwers also
Streamlight Propolymer
Elektro Lumens Blaster series

cy

Flashaholic
to achieve long throw. one needs a combination of lots of lumens, single focal point, ability to dial in focus and a large reflector.

IMHO MRX-X3T with it's mutant Xbin holds the record for longest throw and max output for any single led light.

other multi-Luxeon lights may put out more lumens, but cannot come close in throw.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While they're probably a bit expensive in Europe, the Mag LED lights are low cost here in the U.S. and probably the LED light with the longest throw of any commercially manufactured light. As others have posted, there are a number of Luxeon based products out on the market that do have reasonable throw, depending upon what you are looking for.

FILA BRAZILIA said:
Hello everyone:) I have plenty of LED flashlights, but, unfortunately, none of them can throw far. To my knowledge, LED flashlights mostly are FLOOD lights.
Does anyone know about LED flashlights that really have long throw? Comments?

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Meduza said:
Elektrolumens K2-LONGTHROW-4x is what you are searching for :)

Meduza; actually I have 1 K2-LongThrow in order at the moment, can`t wait to use it in the field.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
While they're probably a bit expensive in Europe, the Mag LED lights are low cost here in the U.S. and probably the LED light with the longest throw of any commercially manufactured light. As others have posted, there are a number of Luxeon based products out on the market that do have reasonable throw, depending upon what you are looking for.

Brighteyez; Mag LED lights, never seen them in Norway, do you happen to own one yourself? If yes, how do you think it performs?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had the pleasure of visiting your country, so I didn't know if Mags were available there or not. I do know that compared to the U.S., they carry premium prices in countries like the UK and Germany.

With regards the Mag LEDs, yes I have some of the 2 and 3 cell C/D LEDs and some of the 3AA MiniMag LEDs (okay ... I have several of each size :) ) Actually, I had better luck buying the C/D modules separately and putting them into existing lights than buying the assembled light.

As to how it performs, it is probably the brightest mass production LED product that I have encountered so far, and the one that preceeded it would have been the Streamlight Propoly Luxeons (both AA and C models). Seems to outshine most of the cottage industry upgrades that are on the market, though I haven't seen much feedback on the K2 modules and don't know of anyone who currently owns one.

FILA BRAZILIA said:
Brighteyez; Mag LED lights, never seen them in Norway, do you happen to own one yourself? If yes, how do you think it performs?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to know if the new MagLED 3Ds throw farther than dropping the luxeon from the Craftsmann Endurable in a 3D.
I just had to donate my 3D with Endurable luxeon to my girlfriend, to help quell the fear of living alone in a huge farmhouse, with boogeymen and ax murders lurking in the fields.

FLR.com shows the Diamond 3w dropin having more throw than the MagLED replacement.:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs3w.htm

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say the MagLED drop in for the 3xD battery light and the Striker VG are the biggest LED based throw monsters that I know of.

The Inova T4 also does a pretty darn good job.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, sure does. Yeah, I've got a couple of those as well. I blame it all on the misguided influence of CPF'ers. ;)

Omega Man said:
I'd love to know if the new MagLED 3Ds throw farther than dropping the luxeon from the Craftsmann Endurable in a 3D.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
cy said:
to achieve long throw. one needs a combination of lots of lumens, single focal point, ability to dial in focus and a large reflector.

IMHO MRX-X3T with it's mutant Xbin holds the record for longest throw and max output for any single led light.

other multi-Luxeon lights may put out more lumens, but cannot come close in throw.

cy, I am getting very interested in the flashlight you mentioned in the above thread, the IMHO MRX-X3T. Do they sell this light anywhere?

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
zespectre said:
I'd have to say the MagLED drop in for the 3xD battery light and the Striker VG are the biggest LED based throw monsters that I know of.

The Inova T4 also does a pretty darn good job.

zespectre; at Flashlightreviews they write MANY nice words about the striker VG, do you know if this light is capable of lighting up objects 200 feet away?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2nd gen. Streamlight TL-2 and a Nuwai TM-115, both of these have good throw and are relatively small. I also got the new Maglite 2cell dropin for my old 2D mag and it has real good throw if you focus it to a small spot.

cy

Flashaholic
sorry these are a from a very limited run long ago by hotbeam out of Australia. there's a global map of MRX bretherns. aprox. 12-13 I forget...

these were powered by a batch of mutant Xbins (Ybin candidate), never to be seen again. mine puts out aprox same light as Surefire M6 lola.

rest of lights lights listed in this thread are not even in same ball park. the last one sold for $750

FILA BRAZILIA said:
cy, I am getting very interested in the flashlight you mentioned in the above thread, the IMHO MRX-X3T. Do they sell this light anywhere?

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
cy said:
sorry these are a from a very limited run long ago by hotbeam out of Australia. there's a global map of MRX bretherns. aprox. 12-13 I forget...

these were powered by a batch of mutant Xbins (Ybin candidate), never to be seen again. mine puts out aprox same light as Surefire M6 lola.

rest of lights lights listed in this thread are not even in same ball park. the last one sold for $750

How many feet (roughly) do you think this light can throw? What about 1000 feet, possible?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILA BRAZILIA said:
zespectre; at Flashlightreviews they write MANY nice words about the striker VG, do you know if this light is capable of lighting up objects 200 feet away?

200 ft huh, that would depend on what you were trying to light up and how bright you were trying to light it. A man-sized, light colored object, yeah I think so. A small brown mailbox? Probably not.

See my comments in the "three way shootout".