Black Diamond Spot Run times?

1200mk

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have actually run times on fresh alkalines?

on each setting?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have seen pretty much no info on this headlamp on CPF... I would assume however though.. that since its unregulated (i assume since it says its not).. that its going to look just like the discharge graphs of the battery you put in it... depending on the current draw...

i think the concept of the Spot is awesome and I hope princeton tec is taking note. It is an excellent design but lacks the features that Princeton Tec puts in their headlamps (regulation, waterproof, etc)... a PT EOS w/ about 3x5mm red LED's would be almost a perfect headlamp.. or better yet just another lux 1 that is red somewhere in the bottom of the housing...

Nobody seems to want to buy the spot due to there being WAY cheaper and better options... Other notes that I have read on the spot from owners is that the tint on both the 'lux' and the 5mm's are pretty bad... the reflector beam of the main LED is 'weird' shaped and there is no waterproofing done in the housing.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps - LED/Black Diamond Spot/Bill Jeffrey/

Last edited:

1200mk

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
i have seen pretty much no info on this headlamp on CPF... I would assume however though.. that since its unregulated (i assume since it says its not).. that its going to look just like the discharge graphs of the battery you put in it... depending on the current draw...

i think the concept of the Spot is awesome and I hope princeton tec is taking note. It is an excellent design but lacks the features that Princeton Tec puts in their headlamps (regulation, waterproof, etc)... a PT EOS w/ about 3x5mm red LED's would be almost a perfect headlamp.. or better yet just another lux 1 that is red somewhere in the bottom of the housing...

Nobody seems to want to buy the spot due to there being WAY cheaper and better options... Other notes that I have read on the spot from owners is that the tint on both the 'lux' and the 5mm's are pretty bad... the reflector beam of the main LED is 'weird' shaped and there is no waterproofing done in the housing.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Black%20Diamond%20Spot/Bill%20Jeffrey/

i paid 29.99 for it... and it seemed to be alot brighter than the PT eos.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
1200mk said:
i paid 29.99 for it... and it seemed to be alot brighter than the PT eos.
not bad price!

it 'shouldn't' be brighter than the EOS w/ a McR-18 :naughty:

Can you see what bin your Lux is... is it a luxeon or a clone? The reason it can't really be any brighter is that since you can change the Luxeon on the EOS to whatever the current 'best' Luxeon is... They both SHOULD be the same... as far as the stock config goes... both of my EOS's both came with R-bins and have been both upgraded to S-bins...

if the spot was more water resistant I would probably buy one and put red led's in the 5mm spots... then use a SWOH in the reflector...

any pics / observations would be greatly liked :)...

Last edited:

1200mk

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
not bad price!

it 'shouldn't' be brighter than the EOS w/ a McR-18 :naughty:

Can you see what bin your Lux is... is it a luxeon or a clone? The reason it can't really be any brighter is that since you can change the Luxeon on the EOS to whatever the current 'best' Luxeon is... They both SHOULD be the same... as far as the stock config goes... both of my EOS's both came with R-bins and have been both upgraded to S-bins...

if the spot was more water resistant I would probably buy one and put red led's in the 5mm spots... then use a SWOH in the reflector...

any pics / observations would be greatly liked :)...
what's the McR-18?

What is a bin, luxeon, SWOH?

ill try to get some pics when i go night hiking this weekend.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
McR-18: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_50_64&products_id=661

its a reflector by McGizmo(Don).... a very nice reflector.... however you have to sand it down slightly to fit but once you do its an awesome beam! :)

SWOH: http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/bin_codes/index.htm
its the brightest Lux1 you can buy...

S = 51.7-67.2 lumens @ 350ma (since the EOS is slightly lower we can assume ~45lumens, with some reflector/window loss ~35 Lumens... 35 Lumens for 4 hours ain't bad at full regulation

WO = warm white color, nice and pure white

H = the forward voltage is 3.03V - 3.27V which is the lowest Vf S-bin you can find... I do have a G bin VF but its a Q-bin in the Flux factor

will be looking forward to your pics! if you want to send me your light..... i'll do a runtime test on it for free

1200mk

Newly Enlightened
the black diamond site shows that the spot runs for 20 hours +...

how do they measure this?

if i go hiking tonight for 5 hrs i won't need a battery change will i?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
never believe the maker... Who knows how they measured it... bring tons of batteries to be on the safe side.... i have no idea how long your hike is nor what power level you'll need