Christmas in October?????

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's early October. The regular baseball season just finished. We're going to have a few days of Indian summer and the temps will be close to 80°F tomorrow. Please tell me why on earth I'm already seeing a few stores with Christmas stuff out? Back to school sales after July 4, winter coats in September, swimsuits in March. It's getting to be ridiculous. Anyone else hate this rushing of seasons?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take advantage of the clothes change. If I'm diligent enough and look around, I can get some closeouts of one season's clothes while there is still a couple of months left to wear them.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
its Christmas all year long up here :p

feature7_main.jpg

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0012/feature7/index.html

Indian summer? it started snowing here last week :(

Raven

Enlightened
jtr1962 said:
Please tell me why on earth I'm already seeing a few stores with Christmas stuff out?

Because retail outlets have no shame, and Americans are addicted to shopping.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Just let it slide for a couple of years... At the rate this is going everything will be back in the right season in about 5 years... ofcourse shopping will be very confusing in those 5 years... christmas stuff up in the stores? must be march then :laughing:

marxs

Enlightened
here christmas season starts on the "-BER" months...namely september, october, november and of course december. LOL

mark

Empath

Flashaholic
We never got Christmas in the stores around here last year, other than smaller local shops. All the big guys stocked the Christmas stuff, but did little in the way of decorating. Generally, they'd discuss the holidays, but the term Christmas was verboten.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The company I work for has already pushed Christmas decorations out of the warehouse and into the stores. The main reasaon is that the buyers get better prices by buying early and in huge quantities and of course they want us to sell items, but most of us hate it at store level. Not only does it spoil the Christmas spirit but plain and simple it's a ton of stuff for which we do not have room. It gets in the way and it hurts sales of other items, plus we find it indignant. We just don't have a lot of control over it

And at our store at least we'll wish people a Merry Christmas as well as other happy holidays (hey, we're not all Christians and we want everyone to enjoy the spirit anyway). There are a lot of companies that don't get overly "politically correct," whatever that is, but we do recognize other beliefs out of respect we would like for ourselves.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who work in retail (buyer level) have thought of Christmas as being July for years. And for the warehouse stores like Costco, it looks like they've gone retail and are late in the Christmas stuff now. Back in the day when both Price Co. and Costco had some orientation towards the small business owner (hence the name Wholesale in their business names) the Christmas stuff was indeed displayed in July. Nowadays it doesn't show up until after Labor Day.