Proton runs 3 minutes 15 seconds and shuts off

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
:awman:

I was just starting to use my new Proton with the battery they supplied (Lithium, measures 1.59V), and found it shuts off after 3 minutes and 15 seconds.

It does it in any mode, white or red, brightest setting or dimmest setting.

I followed the instructions in both the manual and from their website to turn off the point of purchase mode. I don't think this is the issue--they say the light shuts off in seconds, not minutes, when in POP mode.

I did a search and found nothing. What's going on here? How can you guys get constant runtime graphs if it shuts off?

Last edited:

Rob187

Enlightened
It's broken!

I too had some very weird things going on with my Proton that no-one could explain - strange flashing sequences, etc but not this particular problem.

I emailed LRI and got a replacement. Might I suggest you do the same? Customer service was first class.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Rob, I've sent an email to them.

I tried a new battery and still the same problem. The device runs, then blinks bright red very quickly, and then shuts completely off.

Another strange thing. After turning off the light manually, there is a momentary red flash about 1/2 a second after turning off the light... even with a new battery. Does your's do this?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think my gives the red flash as it shuts off... i think.....................

underdust

Newly Enlightened
My light definitely gives the red flash when powering it off. I think that's normal.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon agreed there is a problem with the light. They have responded to my email already and are taking care of me.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I look forward to the replacement without the unintentional auto-shut off feature.

You may want to take a closer look at the one I send back to you before trying to fix it. Perhaps it has developed Artificial Intelligence, and now has rights as a Sentient Being.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note that I received my replacement Proton today. It didn't work at all. When I opened it to check the battery, the (+) battery terminal fell out onto my desk. :ohgeez:

Please see the email I sent requesting that you take back all Photons you sent for credit. :scowl:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Torch Boy. FYI- They are covering the postage both ways on the defects.

It's a shame, it's a nice product plagued with quality issues.

I have purchased about a dozen Protons Keychains over the years and never had problems, including 3 with this last order.