What have you used your Arc-P for today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thought I'd see what other folks have used their Arc-P's for...

...let's see, tonight I used mine to:

See a cat stuck in a tree (chased by the dog), wander the yard, and help check on the four-legged critters in the barn.

:candle:

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
Nothing exciting. About two hours ago, I used mine to get my mail. I forgot to get it earlier when the sun was still up.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used it to file a rough spot off my fingernail yesterday.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally use mine for night time navigation around the house...
au.gif
...why use boring old domestic lights when you have nice flashlights to do the job?
biggrin.gif

CFU

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
last night it was used to "light up" my buddy who was trying to open a basement window.

Three guys i was with just shook their heads as I was in lumen heaven :)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine almost never gets used, but it still has an important role. Stays on my keys as a backup to whatever my primary EDC is, so I know I always have a good 5 hours of light if necessary.

peace

prof

Enlightened
I use mine daily to check on my kids after they go to sleep. Perfect amount of light to slip in and check on them (ok, it's TOO bright, but a fingertip fixes that).

randyo

Enlightened
I have 2 serving EDC duties. Both of them are Millermods 2-stage conversions. The one on my keychain is loaded with a Lithium battery and rarely gets used - it's just there in case it's needed. The other one rides on the side of my Nite-Ize cell-phone pouch. It gets used a lot at work, providing additional illumination in dark places while my aging eyes are attempting to verify cable connections, find dropped items, etc.
I have a stock ARC AAA-P that stays in the pocket of whatever I'm wearing to bed.
Finally, I keep an ARC AA (Millermod conversion 2-stage) in my pants pocket as an EDC. I'll never run out of photons.

nuggett

Enlightened
use my MillerMods 2 stage every day peering into dark electrical panels, attics and basements. Kept on a neck lanyard, always there

Pwilli5764

Newly Enlightened
I work for a company that makes (many) different types of mailing machines. One of our products has just been discontinued, but we still need to make spare parts for service requirements. All of the parts are on metro carts in a (Dark!) tractor-trailer. My ARC-P is used several times a day for locating parts, I wouldn't want to be without it!

icecube

Newly Enlightened
I've used mine to adjust valve tappets on my E30.

Just last night I got about 2/3 way through changing a water pump on that jewel. Inline six. Only used a ARC AAA P, what was left initially of the daylight, and some little motion light which decided it'd had enough of turning on later....

VJJ

Newly Enlightened
I just used mine last weekend to fix a nightclub's patio heater at night in the dark for 2 hours. Disassembled, changed the thermocouple, cleaned out pilot light line, cleaned out burner, Adjusted flame levels, & reassembled... all with the AAA P in my mouth. Usually it's on my keychain, but removed it to put in my mouth.

It was a hero with the recent Buffalo October storm that plunged 400,000 people in darkness due to downed power lines. A week later some were still without power. It helped me run power inverters, & generators to sump pumps, & furnace electrics in dark damp basements. It was my most used light personally... but I get 7 hours of pretty bright light using a 900 Mah NiMh Tennergy cell, with an 8th hour of much dimmer but usable light.

My most popular (impressed the people the most) light though was my 3-D cell MagLite with a 6 watt focusable Luxeon in it.

My most used, by the people, lights were my cheap, Shorlite AA & AAA LED lights. I have a half dozen of each so just tossed them around. Dimmable, they'll run over 70 hours on the lowest setting... just what you need if you're gonna go a whole week without electricity.

The most useful for just hanging around in the dark waiting for the power to come on were my gear-guide 4-AAA dimmable lanterns. They were originally 12 LED lanterns, but converted all 3 lanterns to a single 1 watt luxeon LED. We also liked our incredibly cheap, 6 3-D cell, 20 LED desklamps made by Innovage. They were under $10 each at Boscovs & Rite-Aid. When i bought them, the last one I bought, I had to repair, new, right out of the box... but it was easy. They have the advantage of running continuous for days on the 10-LED setting with just 3-D cells.

We also had a MagLite 2-AA, & 2 AAA laying around with Luxeons in 'em. But they didn't get used a lot. I think they'll only last a night continuous on a single battery change.

But the ARC P, is the one I personally used the most.

I do a lot of camping, so I was busy upgrading lights to LEDs, or buying LED lights since about 2 years ago.

I'm very popular during power failures & camping trips:

1-ARC P AAA
1-Aitech 6 LED
1-3-D Cell MagLite 6 Watt Luxeon
1-2-AA MagLite 1 Watt Luxeon
1-2-AAA MagLight 1 Watt Luxeon
6-single AA 2-LED Shorelite
6-single AAA 1-LED Shorelite
6-3-D cell Innovage 20 LED Desklamps
3-Gear Guide Lanterns 1 Watt luxeon (modified)
3-Streamlight Stylus 3 AAAA LED penlights. (Bright, 60 hour run time)
1-6-D cell twin tube Colman Fluorescent lantern
1-4-AA Fluorescent with Nite-Ize LED front mod
1-4-AA Fluorescent
1-4-D cell Innovage 12 LED lantern (POS but runs long)

UncleGadget.com

Last edited:

mosport

Enlightened
Wow, sounds like you got your money's worth from the ARC-P VJJ!

The other night I was at a racing fabrication shop where a florescent lighting ballast blew out a few days before. Not wanting to be electrocuted, we turned off circuit breaker power to change the unit, but forgot the portable work lights wouldn't work.

But why not use a headlight for illumination? The race bikes he builds and services have composite bodies and no headlights :rock:

On comes the ARC-P... With my friend standing on a ladder 10 feet up, I stood there providing the light to get the job done. Checking out the ARC-P afterwards, he'll be ordering one up!

:sold:

Status
Not open for further replies.