Need help from Bay area members for testing new converter

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need help from bay area members with the equipment necessary to do power and efficiency measurements of a new converter I am prototyping. Please contact me via PM and we can go over more details.

A little details about the converter

- Fully regulated two levels
- Flupic features with sos, beacon, etc
- 0.55" sammie sized converter

Here are some pictures
prototypetopsmallam6.png

prototypebotsmalliv7.png

There are two sense resistors R1 and R2 to change the low and high currents. One can set it at levels from as low as 10ma to 800ma.

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Will it fit in a JIL? :)

It looks like it might be a bit too thick for a JIL-CR2 DD (JCR2-LR) but what about the JIL-CR2 1.3W (JCR2-HI).

greenLED

Flashaholic
0.55" is sammie size; Fenix takes 0.6" boards.

Could we use these with non li-ion batteries? Ni-MH, alkies, or lithiums?

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inductor and the PIC + converter chip will be too thick for the JIL DD even if I made the board as thin as the one I have. For the JCR2-HI, you will need the 0.6" board size.

vortechs said:
Will it fit in a JIL? :)

It looks like it might be a bit too thick for a JIL-CR2 DD (JCR2-LR) but what about the JIL-CR2 1.3W (JCR2-HI).

These will take primaries and li-ions as the converter is fully buck/boost. I still have to do testing on these converters to get all the data. Cheers!

greenLED said:
Could we use these with non li-ion batteries?

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulated FLuPIC.... :D :D

In was waiting for this for a long time...

Too bad I'm not in the Bay Area. I hope this new board will progress fast.

Goed job Kev.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be safe to presume that you are looking for people who are living in the area that surrounds Lake Ontario rather than the "Bay Area" that is more commonly associated with San Francisco?

vortechs

Enlightened
goldserve said:
The inductor and the PIC + converter chip will be too thick for the JIL DD even if I made the board as thin as the one I have. For the JCR2-HI, you will need the 0.6" board size.

Hi goldserve,

Thanks for confirming that the new board is too thick for the JIL DD (JCR2-LR). I suspected that it was. Perhaps JIL will eventually make a new body designed specifically for this new converter. It looks like it would be a bit longer than the DD (LR), but shorter than the 1.3W (HI).

I continued my questions about the board sizes for the various JIL models over in your FLuPIC board size thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1623025&posted=1#post1623025

greenLED

Flashaholic
Brighteyez said:
Would it be safe to presume that you are looking for people who are living in the area that surrounds Lake Ontario rather than the "Bay Area" that is more commonly associated with San Francisco?
Nope. Goldserve is visiting the US.

Goldserve, e-mail sent. Many :thanks:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, this sounds like a nice one! I look forward to seeing more.

Always available if you decide to send one up north. :)

Cheers,

Paul

mosport

Enlightened
Great you were able to make everything fit Kev!

Already looking forward to doing mods when they're released.

:thumbsup:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, I need someone that I can have easy access to right now so I can do some tests and change the design if needed. These boards will be more expensive due to the increased component count and price. Inductors and the buck/boost controller costs way more and also the LABOUR involved. As you may not see, the PIC microcontroller is straddling a regulator and getting the PIC soldered ontop of the controller poses difficulties of its own.

When I get the design hammered down, I'll offer it in the array of sizes, 0.55" 0.6" and 0.77". I think these sizes cover much ground for modifying most single-cell lights.

Cheers!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the bigger lights like 2 x RCR123, you could use the other converters out there. This converter is meant to fill the 1 cell, as small as possible yet multilevel gap.

Walt175

Enlightened
Ok, no Fenix sized yet, but I have a Jill 1.3w gathering dust....:grin2:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Goldserve!

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
This sounds like what i have been looking for for quite a while, i hope the testing works out ok and that there boards make it into production soon.
Marc

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been some technical difficulties and comprimises had to be made. I will annouce the full specs when I've completed testing (currently looking for a few members to send the converter to). I should have these shortly and if they are well received, I can make this in different sizes like 0.6" for fenixes and other 1 cell hosts.