SL PP 4AA versus UK eLED 4AA

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a general utility light for working around the house, and probably for occasional use outdoors as a campsite light.

Both the SL PP 4AA 7LED and the UK eLED 4AA (old-style, not the new zoom-style) are rugged, waterproof, polymer-bodied lights that get mostly good comments here on CPF.

They appear to be quite similar in size, appearance, functionality and price. Which is better as a general utility light? If you have both, which do you prefer?

Hoping for comments from people who have actual experience of both lights.

Before someone makes the inevitable suggestion: no, I'm not going to buy 'em both.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either light, but I've read Quickbeam's reviews of them. If I were to choose, I would go with the UK. It has very steady output, and it isn't hideously overdriven like the ProPoly.

If you just want a floody light, you might try getting a Mag with an LED in it (MagLED, Diamond, SMJLED, Nite-Ize, EverLED, etc.) and removing the Mag's reflector. This will completely eliminate any hotspot for most lights.

vtunderground

Enlightened
ringzero said:
If you have both, which do you prefer?

I have both, and prefer the UK. It's more compact, has a whiter beam, more throw, has better runtime, perfect regulation, and seems more reliable than the overdriven SL.

maxilux

Enlightened
In my opinion the PP4AA has more throw, a very little spot, for working around the house i will take the UK, the SL is for a longer distance.

pec50

Enlightened
The old UK 4aa is a pocketable light, whereas I find the the Propoly to be a bit too large to be comfortably pocketable and heavier. But, the Propoly is substantially brighter with much better throw. That said, the UK's side emitter provides a floodly light that is rather nice for tasks or walking. Runtimes favor the UK by a good margin. If you like the UK form factor, the new UK Fire eled uses optics to create a substantially brighter light, than the old UK, with respectable throw but with a penalty of shorter runtime and a bit more weight.

jtice

Flashaholic
If you said the New SL 4AA Luxeon, I would say go with that,
but between the old 7 LED version, and the old UK 4AA led,
I would go with the UK 4AA led,
Great regulation, water tight, nice size (good bit smaller than the SL)

~John

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UK is a great light for all-around house duty.
As mentioned above, it provides a very nice foody beam, and is plenty bright for most uses. It doesn't have much throw, but works wonderfully if within 15' or so.

It easily slips into a back pocket or toolbelt, is very tough, doesn't roll away, dead flat regulation, waterproof, inexpensive batteries...it can be used in hazardous locations (as can the PP4AA, I believe), non-conductive, non-tactical clicky (located behind bezel).

Yeah...I like it.

Oh, and you can "Lego" it. You can use the 2.1w incan lamp asembly, the 4W LA, the 4AA w/switch body, 4AA twisty body, 2L body, Rechargeable body...you could even try the new LED with the optic/focus system, or try the angle-head attachment.

The versatility is stunning.

wjb3

Newly Enlightened
ringzero said:
Both the SL PP 4AA 7LED and the UK eLED 4AA (old-style, not the new zoom-style) are rugged, waterproof, polymer-bodied lights that get mostly good comments here on CPF.

Does UK still make the old style? One of my six UK eLED 4AAs broke (works with alkaline batteries but not NiMH) and I would like to replace it. I use the UK eLED 4AA with lithium as my EDC. Underwater Kinetics says the UK eLED 4AA will lose its safety rating, but will work with L91 lithium. I like lithiums when it is cold and for lights that will sit around for a long time.

According to a Dec 2005 email I got from SL's chief engineer, the only SL light he recommends use L91 lithiums is the SL PP 4AA Luxeon.

Btw, I use the SL PP 4AA Luxeon (with NiMH) for outdoor walks. It has a shorter run time than the UK eLED 4AA, but throws much further. I use the UK eLED 4AA inside where the SL PP 4AA Luxeon hot spot is too bright to be reflecting off a white wall 2 feet in front of me and the runtime is too short.
-/-

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
wjb3 said:
Does UK still make the old style? One of my six UK eLED 4AAs broke (works with alkaline batteries but not NiMH) and I would like to replace it.

Hey wjb3, I think UK has dropped the old style from their lineup.

I just ordered an old style from Brightguy for $26.

Tina, the lady I talked to at Brightguy, said they have only around a dozen left in stock, and when those are gone there will be no more. If you really want to get one, maybe you should order before Brightguy runs out.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thanks to everyone who responded. You guys all help to make CPF a great resource for anyone shopping for a light.