Fenix L0P / E1 ????

Al

Enlightened
Rec'd my E1 and was surprised to find it appeared visually as bright as my L0P, although decidedly blueish in comparison. Examining the heads of both lights, I find that my new E1 does indeed have a different LED than my L0P but on the battery terminal side of the circuit board of both lights are etched "L0".

I'm supposing my new E1 is an E1 LED on a L0P board.
This would mean no current regulation which is the reason I wanted the E1.
Also, LED overdriven?

will contact 4Sevens to find out what's up.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothings wrong...all the E1`s say L0 on the board...you know what else...all the E0`s say E1 on the board. I`m not kidding...LOL.

The E1 is a great light...for the 3 hour regulated run time off 1 AAA batt...very bright. But...it is not as bright as the L0P in total output...just the hot spot is about the same...sort of tricks the eye. The L0P puts a lot of energy into the wide spill~surround...sort of like the Surfire L4. But no where near as bright of course. Personally I love the beam from the L0P.

Ken

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 what Ken said, and no, I doubt it would be considered overdriven. It is a Nichia Rigel LED, which is designed for much higher current than a 5mm LED. And I believe, not having gone inside of mine yet, that it rests on a heat sink and is able to use that sink like a Luxeon.

Hondo

Al

Enlightened
INFO from 4sevens:

"The board may be etched L0 but that doesn't mean it's the same circuit. In fact I know it's
not the same. The E1 board is horizontally oriented. The L0P is not.

The E1 is fully regulated... see the graphs in cpf. the LED is not a luxeon like the L0P,
it's a nichia riguel and it's underdriven."

BTW: Hope my first message wasn't misinterpreted. I didn't mean to imply that the E1's were not as advertised. I didn't expect the E1 to be as bright as it is (measured the hot spots with an LM631 - E1 & L0P almost the same).
My confusion (getting excersize "jumping" to conclusions) resulted when I saw that the battery side of the two heads is identical. I thot maybe the E1 I had rec'd had been mis-manufactured.

Apologies to 4sevens for any aggravation caused.

Last edited:

scott

Enlightened
I have an E1. So does my wife. A friend has an LOP. His LOP is clearly brighter and has significantly more throw than our E1s. I'm very happy with my E1, and would not trade the brightness for the reduction in runtime of the LOP, but the LOP is impressively bright. All this said, perhaps there are variations and my experience is unique. I bought two L1Ts at the same time. One has a very tight hotspot. The other has more spill. There are variations. Perhaps others will chime in with their experiences with the LOP and E1.

Scott

Skibane

Enlightened
Badbeams said:
The E1 is a great light...for the 3 hour regulated run time off 1 AAA batt

It's closer to 5 hours with an Energizer lithium - very impressive indeed.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your wallet might not like it. But the light could care less. Works fine. Don`t think it`s any brighter, but it does run longer...5 hours is correct.

I run rechargables in mine.