Any credit-card-thin LED flashlights out there?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weeks ago, I saw a little lighted fresnel magnifying glass at the mall (Boscov's?) "as seen on TV" I think.

Made me wonder why there isn't credit-card thin LED flashlights out there.

A LED semiconductor is very thin and could sit on the center of the card on a 1-layer mylar flex circuit. This layer of copper could be etched with the circuit necessary to run to one or several lithium coin cells located toward the corners (which slide in from the edge of the card). This copper could also have fancy artwork to dissipate heat near the diode, and also to display an etched logo of the manufacturer.

Has anyone done this yet?

Perhaps it could even be a "real" credit card... with style

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked Target? I think they have one in the camping section with the Victronix stuff (Swiss Army Knives).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually thinking of the LED being on the center of the front of the card, you know like in between the two circles of the mastercard logo.

But that's an interesting version, looks very aerodynamic!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing one advertised on tv called the Owl Light. It was a credit card sized light with a built in magnifying glass. It was advertised as being very useful in dimly lit restaurants, for reading the menu, etc. I haven't actually seen one though.

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
you are correct , it was called a "owl" . wal-mart had some a while back in there as seen on tv section( in front of store by check out lanes)

quokked

Enlightened
I've got a ian sinclair Ion light, it's really credit card thin.
decent beam too, not much in the way of a hotspot, all spill really
The two LEDs in it are 3mm LEDs. There's a cheaper version of the credit card light that is plastic translucent ...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an OWL light in linens+things for $9.99. It does not have a replaceable battery. The LED is a small surface mountPCB mounted and is not really that bright, but does the job it's intended for.

I gave it to my wife to use in dimly lit restaurants or when she forgets her reading glasses. It's not thin or flexible enough for my butt-cheek shaped wallet.