Surefire E1E with a KL4 Head

hivoltage

Enlightened
I have an E1E I was going to sell....then I heard about this mod. What exactly do I get from this setup. REAL bright light? Runtimes? Anybody have one of these and is it worth it.? Thanks

adnj

Enlightened
Search for TW4. About 25 minutes on rechargeables with standard brightness.

adnj

Enlightened
You may want to look at the KL1 also. That's a nice set-up.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
adnj said:
Search for TW4. About 25 minutes on rechargeables with standard brightness.

It's not really "standard" brightness. The light will run noticeably dimmer than when using 2x123's. However, because the converter is "starved", it will draw less current and run for a reasonable amount of time. How long and how dim? Well, depends on the Vf of the LED in your particular KL4. Handpicked units will run pretty bright. Most will not. Luxeon lottery.

Last edited:

alberto

Enlightened
Look at both the KL1 and the KL4 - KL1 (4th gen) for bright tight beam, KL4 for bright flood. Buy the E1L and get a KL4 for your E1e body.

JanCPF

Enlightened
CM said:
It's not really "standard" brightness. The light will run noticeably dimmer than when using 2x123's. However, because the converter is "starved", it will draw less current and run for a reasonable amount of time. How long and how dim? Well, depends on the Vf of the LED in your particular KL4. Handpicked units will run pretty bright. Most will not. Luxeon lottery.
CM,
I think you missed the word "rechargeable" in adnj's post. I haven't heard of any KL4s that doesn't run with full brightness on a Li-Ion rechargeable, but of course I may be wrong.

Jan

adnj

Enlightened
I agree that primaries are dimmer... the circuit drops out and the LED is in direct drive. Getting the voltage above the regulator threshold is key to regulated output. That is why the higher voltage of a rechargeable is critical to "standard" brightness.