Infinity Ultra vs. Inova X1 vs. Fenix EO

scott

Enlightened
Just a week or two ago, there was a thread concerning the merits of the Infinity Ultra and the Inova X1 as survival type lights. As I remember, some of the runtimes mentioned were surprisingly long for 1AA lights. Now we have the Fenix EO with almost 16 hours of flat regulated light on a lithium (and it's significantly smaller and lighter, being a 1AAA light.) Soooo...what's the best choice for a small throw-in-a-backpack emergency light? I was leaning toward the IU. Now I'm thinking EO. Opinions?

Scott

adnj

Enlightened
I prefer the X1 over the IU. The quality of light is good and and the tail cap switch is very useful.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don`t have the IU...but I do have the new X1 and a good sample of the E0. You say backpack emergency light. Well, I`m not sure if you camp in a heavily wooded remote area or safe campground setting.

Anyway, I imagine the X1 would run a long time on a lithium...and a 4 pack AA is about the same price as the AAA 4 pack...a little under $10 bucks.

The X1 is brighter and has a wider spill beam. Either one would get you through a couple nights in a pinch. Cost is pretty much the same...around $20.

I think I would go with the X1 (or IU) unless you really want the small AAA size. Just because it`s brighter.

Ken

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Infinity Ultra, and the Inova X1. Both are excellent lights. The X1 is a bit brighter. I'm not sure about it's runtime, but I'm sure it's comparable to the Infinity Ultra.
I can't comment on the Fenix because I don't have one.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pick the new Gerber IU over the other two, simply on runtime. Mine is still putting out useful light for navigation long after 36 hours on alkaline.

The newest version has the Nichia CS LED in it and, while it doesn't have the whitest tint in the world, it is bright.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I have both the Fenix E0 and the Inova X1, they're two different classes of light with two different purposes, the X1 is a good, solid general use light with a good runtime and usable brightness, the X1 puts out about the same amount of light as a white LED SureFire A2 Aviator, and appears to be about twice as bright as a Fenix E0, it also has a more defined hotspot than the A2, the A2 is more floody

the Fenix E0 is designed as a long-running keyring/emergency light, it puts out just enough light to be usable inside the house when not dark adapted (i tested it in my bedroom which is currently lit by the light of my PowerBook G4 15" screen and my 17" NEC CRT monitor), both the X1 and A2 are brighter than it, but not by too much

for general use, the Inova X1 is the better choice, unless you want the Überlong runtime of the Fenix E0 and are willing to sacrifice some brightness for it

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
NutSAK said:
I pick the new Gerber IU over the other two, simply on runtime. Mine is still putting out useful light for navigation long after 36 hours on alkaline.

The newest version has the Nichia CS LED in it and, while it doesn't have the whitest tint in the world, it is bright.

According to recent tests run by CPF members (search this thread) the newest model Gerber IU with Nichia CS's is the runtime winner.

Consider an Enternalight Derringer modded with Nichia CS's. It is siginficantly brighter than these three lights in a small package and when powered down provides usable light for many days.

carrot

Flashaholic
The shape and build of the Inova X1 is more to my liking than that of the Gerber IU, but the Inova X1 failed on me (for certain battery brands) so I am a bit wary of relying on one. Of course, it could just be a complete fluke, but still...

The E0 goes on my keychain.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got 'em all. The X1 is nice, but the last I reach for because I have had some of the "less than positive" activation behavior of the momentary switch, and it is the biggest of the three. I am a big Gerber IU fan, and now with the latest ones coming with CS LED's, you don't have to mod it to make it great. Runtime is the best of the bunch, although the X1 is fairly close. Also like the tailstand ability and clip to put it on my hat brim for hands free use. While not advertised, the tailcap performs flawlessly (on all of mine) in momentary mode, just by virtue of the play in the threads.

The only reason to go for the slightly less bright E0, since they are all close in price, is size/weight. It gets a lot out of a AAA at the lower drive level, but won't make up for the huge capacity of the AA in the other lights. But as an old backpacker who has gotten by using Solitares to save weight, this thing totally rules when size and weight are big factors. I use a light mostly for digging in the packs at dusk and in the tent. But if I got stuck on the trail after dark, once it was REAL dark and my eyes were not spoiled by twilight, I could hike all night by an E0 without tripping over roots and rocks. Little lights look a lot more impressive out in the woods.

Hondo

Last edited:

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
I like all 3 so much, I carry them all. The E0 rides with my keys, and the others in my bookbag (with 8 or 9 other lights of course:whistle:).
My E0 and X1 are very close in brightness and tint. The CMG is obviously less bright, but with fantastic runtime.

lights_001.jpg

Last edited:

Spordin

Enlightened
In my opinion, runtime is usually more important than output in a survival light. Almost any light will provide adequate output in dark conditions. The difference in weight between the EO and the I.U. is negligible, while the I.U. will provide many hours more runtime. But since the EO is so small and light weight (and does get great runtime for a 1xAAA), why not carry both? The EO sounds like it would make a great back-up light.

sniper

Enlightened
I just got an IU from REI. It's apparently one of the old CMGs. How's that for acronyms...I got a CMG IU at REI! It will be a Christmas present for my lady.

She'll just have to make do with her MiniMag/SMJLED till then.

I pried the package open, installed the battery, and snuck it and my X1 into the little, dark room. VERY Impressive! From Quickbeam's output tables, I thought the light would be much dimmer. It very nearly equalled the X1. Of course, I haven't changed the X1's battery for months.

No experience with the Fenix, but can recommend the other two very highly.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love both my Gerber IUs. I also like the ability to tailstand and the switch works great and can be used in momentary when positioned right. My personal runtime tests lasted a very very very long time for usable light for dark indoors navigation. The E0 would be a great backup on a keychain due to it's size and I'd carry that if I really want something small, but I think an IU in the backpack and an E0 on your keychain would be a great week-long worth of usable light.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those older CMG's have some very efficient circuits. I just ran my CMG Sonic as a night light and it lasted 72 hours (of useful light) on a used AAA battery. The ultras are even more amazing.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who is, for certain, carrying the newer model Gerber IUs with the Nichia?

91bravo

Newly Enlightened
I use Energizer Lithium AA's in my reflectorized X1 and it is really bright for a 5mm led light. I know it's not suggested to run lithiums in it, but I've used a lithium battery for about 2-3 months now and so far so good! Fantastic runtime!

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes to the Inova X1 for a well built bright AA light. I own both the IU and the X1 and they are both winners. IU has a great clip for attaching to the bill of your cap or whatever and really good runtimes. The X1 is brighter and also has a very good runtime. Either one would make a positive contribution.