Couldn't pass up a Mini Mag 2xAA LED tonight...

bigfoot

Enlightened
Somebody please STOP me! :help:

I couldn't pass this up... my local Wally World had the Mini-Mag 2xAA LED light for a bit over $23. I snagged one while shopping tonight and I'm impressed. It comes with two Duracell AA batteries and a nylon belt holster.

Wow... not a bad light at all. I hesitated to get this for a while, but I'm glad I did. I can see this will easily be replacing my Mini-Mag with the Nite Ize drop-in module. I think that will now be freed up for an around-the-house light.

It's no Surefire and it's no Arc, but the value is definitely there. I must have lucked out in that "Luxeon Lottery" because mine is a very nice white. Only gripes: no lanyard hole in the tailcap and the reflector coating shows a bit of the blue plastic color when the light is on. Nothing major, though.

Allright... another to add to my growing collection! :rock:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There`s no problem here...you needed that light. You also need a Fenix L0P. And probably a Civictor...You don`t have a P1!? And no U2!!? Man you need to get on the ball here! :)

The Mag is nice for the money. I like mine.

Ken

I like mine too, it has a good output for my purpose. I also like my SL 4AA PP Lux, but sometimes that thing is too bright!

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of your Nite-Ize Minimag mod and a MM 2AA LED.

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
If you like the 2AA, you'll love the 3AA! They feel a bit long at first, but the extra brightness is worth it.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt Sutton said:
If you like the 2AA, you'll love the 3AA! They feel a bit long at first, but the extra brightness is worth it.

I've started to carry the 3AA at work now. It just gives that lil extra punch.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few more thoughts after 3 weeks of use:
=================================

1. It's brighter than StreamLight Jr. Lux, maybe at least 30%.

2. It does cut out suddenly

3. It will not run on depleted cells that the SL Jr. still runs on.

4. The twist to turn is a reliable feature.

5. It does not run on non-alkalines, the cheap 'heavy duty' types. One was at 1.4V, the other at 1.5V,and it would blink, but not turn on. Worse, they were mixed types, which was what really made it not work.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
I like mine too, it has a good output for my purpose. I also like my SL 4AA PP Lux, but sometimes that thing is too bright!

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of your Nite-Ize Minimag mod and a MM 2AA LED.

If I get a chance in the next couple days I will do this... great idea!

ledaholic

Enlightened
If you like using a lanyard, you can use the tailcap from one of the incan versions by changing the spring from the LED cap to the other cap. The springs are the same diameter where they go in the tailcap. I have done this to mine, works great.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I bought a 2AA MagLED a few weeks back. After running a few sets of NiMh batteries through it, I've decided it's nothing but a shelf queen. The complete *blink* when the cells get low is unacceptable to me while on backpacking trips. I may not be in a situation to exchange batteries, and there is no warning when the light just blinks out... doesn't dim or blink or give you any advance warning you are about to be left in the dark.

No lanyard hole in the tailcap like the original maglite? Mag, what are you thinking?

I'll stick with my Huntlight FT02x for my main 2AA light. Removing the battery tube on it allows me to run it on a single 123a cell.

ledaholic

Enlightened
If you like the AA maglite form and it's focusing ability but dont like the circuit, remove the circuit and direct drive with a single li-ion cell. Depending on the vf of the emitter, you may have to add a resistor in place of the circuit. There is plenty of room. a 14650 li-ion fits but will require a short dummy spacer.

I comapred my MM 2AA LED against Mag 2D running stock Krypton and 2D LED drop-in.

My method requires no special equipment and Fenix-Store.com owner criticized the method as "poor methodology" and "it sucks". I'm not sure if it's convincingly good for you, but I will post them.

Basically what I did is I set my camera for a fixed exposure settings, then aimed it at some objects having red, green and blue and a few more colors. I then, pointed the lights at the ceiling and took a picture.

Camera set to F2.7, 1.0 second exposure and ISO 200.

This is standard 2D Maglite with stock Krypton bulbs and partially used batteries. Most flashlights around the house would not have fresh batteries, so this test represents real life battery conditions.
IMG_1096.jpg

This is Minimag LED 2AA on a pair of NiMH after it ran for one hour.
IMG_1093.jpg

This is the same Mag 2D as the first picture with same batteries fitted with a 2D Mag LED module and allowed to warm up for five minutes.
IMG_1097.jpg

bigfoot

Enlightened
Wow... interesting test of the real world. Geez, compared to the 2D Mag Lite, the Mag LED 2AA looks like a winner. No wonder I stood so long in the flashlight aisle trying to decide! Glad I picked the Mini Mag.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigfoot said:
Wow... interesting test of the real world. Geez, compared to the 2D Mag Lite, the Mag LED 2AA looks like a winner.

Owning both (talking LED versions here), I wouldn't quite say that. Especially outside and 15 or so hours later...

If you mean the 2D incan, then most definitely.

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a test like this between the Mini Mag incan and the 2 and 3 AA LED?

I was thinking about getting an LED MM when I was in target but $9 to $25 is a big jump if the only differences are bulb life and battery life. Especially since the LED version only seems to be in black so far and I love the shade of blue Mag uses.

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Oracle said:
Has anyone done a test like this between the Mini Mag incan and the 2 and 3 AA LED?

I was thinking about getting an LED MM when I was in target but $9 to $25 is a big jump if the only differences are bulb life and battery life. Especially since the LED version only seems to be in black so far and I love the shade of blue Mag uses.

The 2AA LED blows the incan away, period. The 3AAA LED is more comparable to the 2D or 3D incan.

Lit Up said:
Owning both (talking LED versions here), I wouldn't quite say that. Especially outside and 15 or so hours later...

If you mean the 2D incan, then most definitely.

When I said "standard 2D" in the picture, I mean "incandescent krypton bulb" aka "stock bulb".

The Minimag 2AA is not much of a thrower, but no LED light with a reflector that size is a much of a thrower. If you compare the LED version of 2D against LED 2AA, the 2D obviously lasts way longer on a set of batteries. Same car with 10 gallons of gas has a greater compared to 5 gallons of gas, no surprise there.

When it comes to throw, the 2AA Minimag LED is no match to an incandescent 2D(with half depleted batteries!) despite having many times the total output.
throwao5.jpg

There's just no way around this. For a given total output, smaller the light source relative to the reflector, tighter the beam can be collimated. Incandescent filament is a smaller light source than a Luxeon emitter.

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pickes up a 3AAA @ Home Depot a few weeks ago for $19.97 (no sales tax) on a whim. WOW! I am very impressed by the tint (could be *X0*) and output. Next step- find a modder who'll HA the exterior. I really do like this little (ok long), inexpensive LED.