Modding a vintage flashlight

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a vintage light to mod off ebay,it was only $1.99!:)

I am looking for ideas to mod,should I clean it up and put a drop in led?If so any Ideas on who has the brightest? Smjled? Or do I try to get a 2d to6AA in there and make a hotwire? ROP?
Does anyone have any other ideas or reasons why somw of these wont work.
Have others tried these type of hosts?

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Well, if it's got a metal reflector, I'd try the 6/8AA to D adaptor and a brighter bulb. Sometimes the vintage lights are a little wider than modern, and don't need boring for the 8-cell configuration.

If the reflector's plastic, well, the Magled drop-in (if it fits the socket) or SMJLED are both good choices. Depending on the diameter, you might be able to fit an O-sink or similar in there, and go full-custom with a Lux 3 or 5 and a driver, but that's getting pretty advanced for such a simple host. If you're looking for a "sleeper", go for it, but for easy and useful, the SMJLED or hotwire would be my choice.

Best,
Jon

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that mag led drop in looks preety good!What did you polish those lights with?They look great!I think Ill start with that.

I was thinking of a vintage sleeper light,down the road.A lux V would be cool,but would the focus /donut hole be an issue?I think that or a wa 1331 becool mod if its not to hot for an old light?
Anyone else got ideas??or pics.Im getting inspired!

Mr light, any pics of the inside switch mechinism?

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I didn't touch the switch so yours should be identical? I haven't taken it apart so I can't show you inside the switch?

Paul6ppca said:
Wow that mag led drop in looks preety good!What did you polish those lights with?They look great!I think Ill start with that.

I was thinking of a vintage sleeper light,down the road.A lux V would be cool,but would the focus /donut hole be an issue?I think that or a wa 1331 becool mod if its not to hot for an old light?
Anyone else got ideas??or pics.Im getting inspired!

Mr light, any pics of the inside switch mechinism?

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I should also mention I replaced the scratched plastic lens with one I made from a scrap of plastic (sold for replacement glass at Home Depot). I traced the old lens on this scrap of plexiglass, used a plexiglass cutter to get it down to a square shape and then used Diagonal cutting pliers to pare it down to a rough circle. The metal flange around the lens covers the rough edge. It's now crystal clear. Took me about ten minutes to cut it to fit.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you use to polish your lights?Did the mag 2d drop right in with no mods?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a old 2D metal "Ranger" light yesterday at the local consignment shop, for $0.50. It has a glass lense and metal reflector. I put a PR2 SMJLED in it, and it worked and looked fine.
Now you've got me thinking of bigger and better things for it, like a hotwire!
I have it taken apart, just need to take some pics and post them now.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
500 lumes coming out of a 30s or 50s vintage light would be cool!
Gotta get ready for halloween!

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I'm afraid the lights came already shined up from the various EBAY sellers. Haven't touched the finish.

If you read my post you will see that the MagLED just drops into the metal reflector. Instead of using the plastic bulb holder I used a coil of aluminum flashing to retain the MagLED and help transfer heat to the metal collar attached to the reflector. The positive end of the D battery presses directly on the base of the MagLED. Just put the plastic bulb holder away for use with regular size PR bulbs.

Another easy mod I plan on trying on some of my oldies is using a 6Cell Mag-Num star Xenon bulb along with a couple of my 3AA to 1D adapters.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a mag led drop in,works great!

Now Im thinking pelican Big d with either a 6 aa to 2d adapter or using 2 li ons.Are 18650 approx the same length as a d cell?If not what is closest.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link.I think Ive got all the parts I need on the way!FM holder^aa to d,big d bulb.Got the host and some mica heat shields!When its done Ill post my results!