MMLed 3AA vs. Streamlight Tasklight 3AA Lux

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
I have really grown to love my MMLed 3AA, so much that I bought another. It has made me take a second look at another light that I've never paid much attention to, the Streamlight Tasklight 3AA Luxeon.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=51

I like the clicky, lanyard attachment, and the fixed focus, but runtime and regulation are unknown. Can anyone comment on the Streamlight and how it may compare to the MM?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Tasklight 3AA Lux comes with a low dome one watt Lux of average bin. In this configuration, the light is good but not great.

I replaced the Lux in mine with a lambertian TXOJ three watt Lux and it transformed the light. It's brighter, has better throw, and has a much larger hotspot than does the 3AA Mag. With three new Energizer Lithium batteries it draws 700mA and runs a long time. It has no regulation.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also pleasantly surprised by the performance of the MMLed 3AA. Sure, the heatsinking may be poor, and the regulation may not be the best, but it does put out a nice, usefull beam.

Even with all of my custom lights, my wife was very impressed with the Mag. A good light to keep around as a loner and a good value IMHO.

zapper

Enlightened
I liked the first 3AA so much I bought a silver one and two 2AA versions (one black and one silver) to match. Since I don't use my lights very often I have Lithiums in all of them and WOW. The 3AA "looks" to have more output than most of my lights and with Lithiums pretty flat discharge. The 2AA "looks" to have just as much if not more than my L2P and XM-3 and with Lithiums about the same output regulation according to Runtimes by Roy. All that and a sub $20 price from Home Depot!! DANG !! After all my modding on other lights I hate to admit I like a stock MM...:goodjob:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a review of the MMLED vs. SL TwinTask.

Admittedly, it wasn't a fair review, and TaskLight is more like it.

I think TaskLight is identical to the one on the pic, with the different internals. I got to say this: SL TaskLIght is much better built than MagLED, which is so thin it can easily be bent. SL's construction is solid, notice the difference.

Performance? I think MagLED is a winner. 3W is bright.

MM_SL1.jpg

Newuser01

Enlightened
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tasklux.htmHere is a review on SL 3 AA Lux Link.

But there is no run time in the review. Reviewer said " as the batteries run down, the Luxeon actually becomes more efficient, allowing it to remain lit at dim levels for a very long period of time. If you were stuck in the dark with no other light, a little light is better than none. So even with essentially dead batteries you will have some light." So no regulation.

You can find runtime and some nice pic's here. <<This link is alive as of today. and in japanese but you dont need to understand japanese as pictures speaks for themselves!>>

Run-time is impressive. Compare to AAA M@G LED, You will have light (deminishing....) for many many hours after 4 hours of full bright!!

For Minimag 3AAA 3 hour to 50% bright and 6 1/2 hour to moon mode. Less run time it seems. see the run time test by super duper ROY here.

Conclusion. (to me.)
MM@G 3AA (wins on price and that is it.)
SL 3AA is better on all counts including the build. But that made it a bit bigger and longer and more expensive.

Would I buy either one? NO. I would get the MMM@G 2 AA instead!! Sorry OPS!

Hehehe!

Regards.
Newbie:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much runtime are we talking, and does it have a high and low setting like the 1xAA version?

zapper

Enlightened
Well, if you go by output then even the 2AA Mag LED has more output than the Tasklight . If you look around, like Newuser01 did :rock:, Runtimes by Roy shows the 3AA has twice the output of the 2AA. So, depends on your main consideration. Price and output, then MM LED. If build quality (ability to use as a striking instrument :twak::dedhorse: ) then Tasklight. Runtimes pretty much depend on the batteries you decide to use. Both have decent warranties.

:touche: :goodjob:

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all of the great information. I will probably hold off on the SL, at least until I get brave enough to try to mod one.
I wonder how hard it woud be to drop a K2 or 3W Lux in?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same question, as I don't care for the 3 5mm-leds plus Xenon bulb... they (LEDs) don't even have great run time as they should.

The *most* annoying thing about the StreamLight Task Lights is that you have to click-click it to get to turn off. Cycle through modes. I don't like it, and keep it in the car as a beater light.