Inova X1

• It died.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • All good.

Votes: 54 90.0%

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my Inova x1 v.2 in my pocket last night, but when I got home, it was dead. I tried some different batteries, and banged it around, but no good. :awman: It's going back to target for a new one.

Post here if your x1 died too.

Last week I was able to fix my friend's x1 by pushing the battery all they way down against the plunger. This didn't work in my case.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my original version are working fine and the new version I gave to my nephew is working fine as is the one I have been carrying since the new versions came out. Sorry to hear about yours :(

Spordin

Enlightened
This will be interesting. I've wanted an X1 for home emergency use to supplement the Gerber I.U., but have heard of a few failures lately. On the other hand, can't remember reading of any I.U. failures. Maybe I should just add another I.U. and pass on the X1. One thing I don't want is gear failure during an emergency, when it's needed most.

havand

Enlightened
I bought an older version of an X1 from someone that was broken. Sure enough, it didn't work, but after taking it apart, i for whatever reason didn't throw out the circuit and led. I tried it the other day and it lit up for me! I don't know if it was full strength or not, but something somewhere stopped working, but i don't think it was the circuit itself...

If anyone has any busted X1's they want to sell, i'm always lookin for them. PM me if you want to get rid of one and we'll talk price (not much though). Thanks!

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spordin said:
This will be interesting. I've wanted an X1 for home emergency use to supplement the Gerber I.U., but have heard of a few failures lately. On the other hand, can't remember reading of any I.U. failures. Maybe I should just add another I.U. and pass on the X1. One thing I don't want is gear failure during an emergency, when it's needed most.

Mine's working great. I run it on a Lithium. I use it quite a bit and it appears that it's gonna run forever on it. Aaaah... almost. :grin2:

Spordin: Just in case you were not aware, I have the Gerber I.U. as well and the X1 is, I'd say, twice as bright. If that makes any difference to ya. :sssh:

Wyeast

Enlightened
Check the contacts. Ours had built up some crud, causing the light to intermittently fail. Cleaned it up with a pencil eraser and it works fine again.

InfidelCastro

Banned
According to Inova you're only supposed to use Alkalines in this light. No lithiums or NIMH. That's probably why your lights are dieing.

Pretty stupid move on their part if you ask me. Almost as dumb as putting that blue Nichia Led in there and calling it white.

lumenal

Enlightened
I've got both the old and the new versions of the X1 and have never had a problem with either... a tough as nails flashlight. The old, spotlight version makes a nice movie theater flashlight...:popcorn:

InfidelCastro

Banned
havand said:
How could using a NIMH be killing the lights? 1.1-1.2V vs 1.5-1.6V?

No idea, but it apparently is. Current flows differently with these two types of batteries regardless of the voltage difference.

There a poster here who says he's killed two of them by using rechargeables.

adnj

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
No idea, but it apparently is. Current flows differently with these two types of batteries regardless of the voltage difference.

There a poster here who says he's killed two of them by using rechargeables.

So what are we talking about here? Some sort of resistance matching to the alkaline?

From Inova:
Can I use rechargeable batteries in your products?

We do not advise using rechargeable batteries on any of our Inova products (with the exception of the T4, which has an Emissive Energy Lithium Ion rechargeable battery included). The specs for our products are based on the use of the recommended battery, and a rechargeable may affect the output of the light and will void out the limited lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Culhain

Enlightened
I have had zero problems with my three X1 lights.

Should my vote count for three "ALL GOOD" ?

InfidelCastro

Banned
adnj said:
So what are we talking about here? Some sort of resistance matching to the alkaline?

I would guess that to be the case. I think the angry purple 5mm Nichia LED in the X1 is already way overdriven and a rechargeable or lithium probably pushes it over the edge. I think it's actually dimmer with a NIMH though.

If I still had mine, I would measure the current draw difference between a new alkaline and a freshly charged NIMH and a lithium.

I guess I should add to the poll. Mine worked fine until I freeze popped it for a mod and then lost interest in that. I only used alkalines in it though. It didn't see much of any use anyways. It was just too dim for anything, but night time around the house navigation. And I have several lights for that. Or did at the time anyways.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 or 4 of them, both old and new style. Been using L91's in em and I haven't
had any problem's so far. This is the first time I've heard that Inova only recommend's
alkaline only.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The poll should have a third choice: Tail switch intermittant.

I have the newer version X1 and the tail cap/switch arrangement is intermittant. Cleaning the threads and the edge of the body helps for a short time, but the tail cap becomes intermittant shortly thereafter.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X1 was one of my earliest led lights, now I have seven of them including mods and the new floody one. No problems at all. They see a LOT of nighttime action too!

Be lucky...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was just too dim for anything, but night time around the house navigation.

Goes to show how different people have different needs and perceptions, I find it is very adequate for most day to day tasks I need a flashlight for indoors use. The only time I need something larger or more powerful is when outside and distance is an issue.

Different strokes for different folks as they used to say.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
Goes to show how different people have different needs and perceptions, I find it is very adequate for most day to day tasks I need a flashlight for indoors use. The only time I need something larger or more powerful is when outside and distance is an issue.

Different strokes for different folks as they used to say.
Exactly. The X1 has more than adequate brightness to most tasks around a camp site or indoors. It might be useless to spot a target at distance though, but it will be definitely a great tool to get by in total darkness. For other more demading uses, there are always bigger lights.... That's why we usually pack two to three or more lights... Aren't we flashaholics or what?

Latest posts