Flashlight vs. cockroach

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning, during a business meeting, a woman shrieked when she looked down and spied, near the wall, a cockroach "the size of a Buick" (as Woody Allen put it in Annie Hall). Remembering a recent thread by a CPFer who used his hotwire to fry a cockroach, I pulled out my Wolf Eyes Sniper (100 lumens), passed it to a guy near the roach, and said, "See if this scares him away."

It scared the roach, all right. But rather than flee out of sight, it scampered three feet up the wall, closer to the poor woman's face.

Then someone took a shoe and ended the matter.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
When the guy terminated the roach with extreme prejudice did it make a squishing noise and leave a mess?:dedhorse:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next time, go with a tightly focused hotwire with at least 500 lumens!

If you think $70 is expensive for a quality flashlight, don't venture into the Custom fora. Also, don't click on that "Indium Smart Pre-Order List" in the top-right corner of every page.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds You will need a 100 mW laser
where there is ONE cockroach, there are at least 10, or was it a hundred?
anyway, there will be more in the future :)

just punged into lasers, what a field

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
I've been harassing a monster spider with my green laser pointer that keep stringing his web between my hd antenna and a tree. Normally I wouldn't care, but it's right above my front door and sometimes he hangs directly overhead, which can be unnerving when you're coming and going at night. I tried swatting him down but he always escapes.

So, at night I go out and 'blast' him with the laser and watch him flee into the tree. I wonder if I can eventually get him to move somewhere else.

Delvance

Enlightened
Lol, even a 500 lumen hotwire won't kill a roach. They're extremely tough/resilient creatures...I know because i tried an ~4000 lumen (output) hotwire on one... ;) This torch can set paper on fire under 2 seconds...and it still wouldn't have killed a roach (those large garden ones).

Illum

Flashaholic
cobra-ak said:
When the guy terminated the roach with extreme prejudice did it make a squishing noise and leave a mess?:dedhorse:

a squished roach is probably a worser scene to the old lady compared to a whole roach....:ohgeez::dedhorse:<-----roach

mmmm....next time bring a USL and make a "burn-in" on the wall....

Last edited: