"Find Me" blinker on a LED Flashlight?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
:awman: It takes what... a couple mA into a red LED a few tenths of a second every 5 seconds? Battery should last years in this mode. I've seen it in incand. at the store (Sears?) Why are none of our LED manufacturers doing this?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a direct drive battery to LED, solder 100kΩ-150kΩ resistor across the switch.

0.04ma approx, give you nearly 2 years, non blink, low light

bitslammer

Enlightened
JNewell said:
Inova 24/7 does that also.

Ditto. It's one of my favorite devices. I don't have much use for the "SOS" blink mode though. If I was lost I think the continous blink would be fine and I'd switch to the rapid Amber/Red/White alternate if I know a search plane/boat/heli was near. That would be hard for them to miss.

The only thing that would make this a better light is if that was user programmable.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a special action to put the flashlight in this mode, or is it automatic when you shut the light off?

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
:awman: It takes what... a couple mA into a red LED a few tenths of a second every 5 seconds? Battery should last years in this mode. I've seen it in incand. at the store (Sears?) Why are none of our LED manufacturers doing this?

The Eternalight series has this function, and I also have an old PAL-light that has a low-level steady "ON".

Perhaps putting a PR-base dropin into one of those incan's will do the trick for you?

Here is the one I'd like to try with an EverLED or a MagLED dropin:
Energizer "Find Me"

Illum

Flashaholic
personally I find the blinking led annoying...:rant:

any light i have with the blinker is either modified so either the light doesnt come on or something covering the diode...:grin2:

if i wanted something to have the "find me" option...i'd invest into tritium... since I sleep with flashlights in my pocket...i dont need that extra option either:grin2:

bitslammer

Enlightened
Oh I completely misunderstood you. I thought you meant a light with a rescue beacon. You meant a light with a light so you can find the light. Yeah I'd go tritium for that I guess.

aceo07

Enlightened
As mentioned before, the HDS EDC U-series has the blinker/locator feature. Never had to really use it, but it's blinking just in case I do need it.

If you go with tritium, make sure it's stuck in an area where it won't break if it hits the ground.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
bitslammer said:
Oh I completely misunderstood you. I thought you meant a light with a rescue beacon. You meant a light with a light so you can find the light. Yeah I'd go tritium for that I guess.

No, the 24/7 does have a "find me" blinker. If you turn the bezel halfway between any two clickstops it will blink the red LEDs once every 10 or 15 seconds or so.

bitslammer

Enlightened
JNewell said:
No, the 24/7 does have a "find me" blinker. If you turn the bezel halfway between any two clickstops it will blink the red LEDs once every 10 or 15 seconds or so.

I saw this but thought of it as more of a error indicator but you're right I'm sure that would work.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Like others have said, Trituim! No batts, 10-15years of bright glow!

TritBezel001.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great. How much does it cost and where does it come from?

I live near TMI, I should be able to get 20 years out of the tritium...

bitslammer

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
That's great. How much does it cost and where does it come from?

I live near TMI, I should be able to get 20 years out of the tritium...

LOL well then what do you need a light at all for?

As I see it either;

A) Everything including the critters around you should already glow.

B) The leftover readiation should have given you super powers like night vision.

warpdrive

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Is it a special action to put the flashlight in this mode, or is it automatic when you shut the light off?

Once you activate the HDS blinker mode, it's automatic when you shut the light off.

Tachion

Newly Enlightened
The PT Apex (I got it yesterday… it's awesome :awman: ) has got sort of a locator blink mode on the battery indicator when it's turned off. It blinks green every 3 seconds. (I suppose it will start blinking orange and red as the batteries wears down.) I don't know how useful this would be though… the headlamp would really need to be positioned correctly for the indicator to be seen.

Humm…. or maybe it's just a battery indicator. :shrug: .... ;)

Robban

Enlightened
aceo07 said:
As mentioned before, the HDS EDC U-series has the blinker/locator feature. Never had to really use it, but it's blinking just in case I do need it.

If you go with tritium, make sure it's stuck in an area where it won't break if it hits the ground.
And make sure you have several vials on there facing in all directions as the glow is quite weak and you'll have a pretty hard time finding the light if the tritium vial(s) is facing down.

I use the locator on my HDS U60 just because I know the moment I turn it off I'll manage to drop it somewhere and never find it again.