surefire and rechargeables

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
Can surefire LED lights run off of RCR123 batteries? I have some 3.0 volt RCR123 batteries and a L4, L2, and L1. Will they fit, will they cause damage?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that should work. The RCRs can't handle the current draw of a hotwire incan and 3.7V RCRs will fry an LED, but the 3.0Vs with an LED together should work nicely. You'll get about half the runtime, but it's "guilt-free lumens," so you can just keep an extra set on hand and charge them when they run low.

MY 1000th POST!!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the E2L can use 'em..

Congrats on # 1,000 since July 2006!!! You are addicted my friend

TigerhawkT3 said:
I think that should work. The RCRs can't handle the current draw of a hotwire incan and 3.7V RCRs will fry an LED, but the 3.0Vs with an LED together should work nicely. You'll get about half the runtime, but it's "guilt-free lumens," so you can just keep an extra set on hand and charge them when they run low.

MY 1000th POST!!

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have troubles with fit if they are protected as my protected RCR123's don't fit but I will be getting some unprotected 17670 soon. Apparently just a light sanding for easy replacement and its all good.
Oh and I have the flat sides on my L2.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
To save people time... 17670's don't fit in an L2. Neither do the 3.0v LiIons.
14670's fit but you need to cold solder a tiny magnet to the +ve tip. You also need to wrap them in duct tape else the +ve terminals don't align.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Frank Maddix said:
To save people time... 17670's don't fit in an L2. Neither do the 3.0v LiIons.
14670's fit but you need to cold solder a tiny magnet to the +ve tip. You also need to wrap them in duct tape else the +ve terminals don't align.

That is an awesome and concise summary. How many of us, including myself, tried these options before getting it right and it is so well stated here. :laughing:

I did find one set of 3.0V LiIons that do fit by removing the outside wrapper to expose the clear inside wrapper. This made enough width difference and they could be pushed in with a slight pressure; you need to shake them out though. For a 2 battery light it is easier than a 1 cell light like the L1.

Sorry, I can't remember the make since I removed the label but they may have been Powerizers. I don't use them because the 14670 is easier and the runtime is short. I tried them in the A2 and it sucks them dry pretty fast <15min.

Last edited:

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I tried the rcr's in the l4 and l1 and both worked, the only question I have is the damage possibly caused by using them, hot off the charger they are 3.9 volts each thats 7.8 volts. Will it hurt the LED or the circuit?

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ADDICTED2LITE said:
I tried the rcr's in the l4 and l1 and both worked, the only question I have is the damage possibly caused by using them, hot off the charger they are 3.9 volts each thats 7.8 volts. Will it hurt the LED or the circuit?

I saw a post recently that said that the 3.0v RCR's, when put under load, drop down to exactly 3.0volts. I can not confirm this though, since my RCR 3.0's have not arrived yet. Hopefully, someone else can say yea or nay.:)

Here is the link to the post I read. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1628159&postcount=5

Last edited: