McClicky switch in Z57 tailcap

gatordome

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of Surefire E series lights. One of them had a defective switch, but Surefire sent me a new Z57 to replace it. I still have the dead switch, so thought I might replace the guts and assemble a TW4 using the old housing. There are a lot of CPF threads dealing with Z57 switches, McClicky switches, McE2S switches, TW4 lights, etc. However, I have not been able to find clear answers to the following questions:

Will the McClicky switch currently sold at the Sandwich Shoppe fit into the Surefire Z57 housing?

If so, is it a drop-in fit or will something have to be modified?

Thanks. I'm a newcomer here, but appreciate the forums. They are really informative and helpful.

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
gatordome said:
Will the McClicky switch currently sold at the Sandwich Shoppe fit into the Surefire Z57 housing?
many say it is possible, I say it is impossible.
There is no way the mcclicky could fit, even with modifying.

cy

Flashaholic
have not tried inserting mclickie into a z57, but it will screw right into a Z52 LOTC.

currently in proccess of converting all light I have into LOTC and/or twisties. much less likely to accidently come on. l

cy

Flashaholic
no idea if they've stop production. they come up for sale all the time.

if you convert to two stage resister mod, z57 becomes a twistie.

but I much prefer the mcgizmo two stage switch

BBL said:
The Z52s are out of production, right?

savumaki

Enlightened
I recently did my Z57 and found the FT model does NOT work- order the reg one and you should have no prob.
I had Wayne put on 30 ohm R which are ok for me.
I use the light reg. on an E2e body and it is now a twisty/PB that works great.

Karl

lightrod

Enlightened
I'll tag on to this one as I am confused - what is the Z52? Is it the current or past supplied tailcap for the E1E? That one seems to be slightly different (shorter) than the Z57. If so is the Z52 STILL the cap for the E1E as purchased? I see Z57's for sale all over but no Z52's.

cy

Flashaholic
Z52 = LOTC (lock out tailcap) is a twisty and most dependable tail for E series. McE2S two stage switch is made for this cap. standard McClickie will screw right in.

Z57 = clickie for E series. cheap $1 resister, two stage mode can be done

gatordome

Newly Enlightened
Cy, thanks for the responses. I don't have a Z52 for comparison. Do you know if the internal (switch guts) threads in the Z52 are the same as the Z57? The switch drops in from the rear on a Z57 and is held in place with a jam nut. From photos, it looks like the switch drops in from the battery side on a Z52.

Savumaki, what is the FT version of the switch? The Sandwich Shoppe's current offering is here

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=791

Is this the one you call the regular model? Will this switch work with the Z57?

Lightrod, current E1E comes with a Z57 clickie.

Thanks.

BBL

Enlightened
Z52 and Z57 are internal completely different.

Someone tell me a place to buy the Z52, i'll get one right away...