Max voltage for my LED?

defblade

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I got fed up with my Ultrafire 1watt AAA randomly not working as the battery ran down, and bought a Fenix P1 (niiiiiice
smile.gif
) to replace it (already got a stack of CR123's).

Reading through some of the info on here, seems to be down to the regulator not starting up with less than 1.2v. So after seeing some of the mods on here, I thought I'd try dropping the LED into an old Pezel headtorch I never use since I met Surefire
wink.gif

I figured with more than one battery, the voltage should never drop too low to start the regulator (until the batteries are properly dead, anyway) and I see the Ultrafire can be run with a 3.6v battery, so 3v from 2 AAs should be fine...... my question is, can I run this LED frequently and for long periods at 4.5v - 3 AAs - which is what the battery pack in the Pezel gives normally?

I've been using 4.5v for brief testing and it's been ok, but if you guys reckon it's dodgy, I'll bypass the final battery slot.

BTW, taken a couple of evenings but seems to be a succesful mod so far, main problem is the stack height of the LED plus regulator is a lot higher than the original bulb, which means the beamshape is odd - you have to twist through an initial period with a dark centre to get to spot and then flood.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any answers,

Jon

Last edited: