mm3aa did i get a dud

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
i picked up a mm3aaled at wallyworld today . i compared it with my fenix p1 and streamlight jr. the p1 blew it away and the jr is noticeably brighter. shouldnt the mm be on par with the fenix and almost double that of the jr?

Assuming you're using fresh batteries, something doesn't sound right.

My 3AA Minimag doesn't project the beam as far, because the small reflector isn't particularly good at collimating, but total output appears pretty close to 4AA Streamlight Luxeon.

Under same camera settings, both lights produced about the same exposure level.

MM 3AA LED
MM3AA_5sec.jpg

SL4AA PP Lux
rref_5sec.jpg

zapper

Enlightened
Definitely a dud. Check batteries first. Check tailcap next and clean if needed. My 2AA MM LED is brighter than my L1P and at least even or better than my L2P. Then the 3AA is very noticeably much brighter than the 2AA. If you don't see a difference then exchange it for another. I've bought 2 of each so far and all are very white with similar outputs.

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
Both my mm3aa led and mm2aa are brighter than my Fenix L1P and Jr. The Streamlight Jr. uses an optic so the central hotspot is bright.

The Mag led's throw a bright wall of light compared to my Jr.

There does appear to be something wrong with perhaps a contact or the batteries you are using - or the light is a lemon.

Rando

Enlightened
Say what you will about Wal-mart, they'll take anything back. Just tell them it doesn't work and they'll exchange it without any questions. If you want your money back you should find the receipt.

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
You will have no problem returning it at Wally. See if Home Depot still has them for $19.95. I saw them for over $25 at Wally.

zapper

Enlightened
Bought my first 3AA at Home Depot for ~$19 then bought the second one and two 2AA at Loews with their 10% lower price matching. Good deals!!

Coop57

Enlightened
I am so glad that I read this thread. About a month ago I bought my first AA Mag LED and was totally not impressed. After reading this thread I went back to WalllyWorld and bought another Mag AA LED and compared the two. Night and Day. The second one was brighter, focused better and the flood was more even, softer and less ringy. What does this say about Mag's QC? I returned the first one back using the second ones reciept. Wally World is great about returns.

Last edited:

zapper

Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
Hey zapper, are you copying me? :confused:

I did the same thing over a month ago. ;)

Where else but on CPF would I find such a wonderful method!! My thanks to you!!
:laughing::rock::naughty::goodjob::thanks::wave::crackup::buddies::bow::twothumbs:D:clap::thumbsup::grouphug: