Introducing: The 160 kW Lux V "flashlight".

Canuke

Enlightened
Last night I attended a Los Angeles SIGGRAPH meeting (a computer graphics group) in order to see this thing in operation. I was able to talk to the guy who designed and built it.

It's used for some fascinating work in computer graphics, but I made sure to gether some of the stats for you guys:

7390 Luxeon V LED's in a geodesic dome configuration
160 kW total power dissipation at full on (including heat losses)
Insanely overdriven: 2.12 Amps per emitter (pulsed usage; though the builder told me they could manage about a 60% duty cycle max)

It works by photographing subects from multiple angles using high-speed cameras, and activating banks of the LED's synchronously at very high speed (IIRC he quoted me a 50ns rise time on his switches).

He also told me that they had to be sure to evenly distribute the results of their 7390 Luxeon Lottery tickets to make sure they didn't have to deal with color casts ;) From what he told me, I think they purchased all the units from one bin, but the variations were plain to see. They were purchased last year. I failed to ask him exactly which bin tho ;(

When this thing is going, it's just insanely dazzling. I'm pithed at myself for not bringing my Canon 5D; I had to make do with my crappy cellphone cam to bring you these pix:

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
:eek:oo:............... thats Nutty !!!
thats got to be well over 750,000 Lumens!
Really cool !

~John