improving throw on an A2

Illum

Flashaholic
From Dougs numbers the A2 doesnt throw very far....and from personal use the MA02 sucks:ohgeez:....sure its regulated, awesome light:naughty:..but...:candle:

any idea how to make it throw better? not I dislike the way it is, but i figure if it could be a wee bit brighter..heh:grin2:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
MA02 in A2 for me has decent throw, particularly when compared to led lights of similiar size. The A2's incan beams prints very well at night, lighting up folage and defeating ambient light, much better with its 2400 or so lux than a led with 3000 lux, or more. It is the diameter of the beam that is important, and the A2 holds most of its lux in that fairly large diameter.

Bill

redcar

Enlightened
Do you mean the MA02?

Edited... Bill beat me too it.

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Penguin said:
try rotating the lamp assembly so more of the filament is exposed to the reflector vs. the LED holes.
ive tryed that but there really isnt a place were you wont hit a led then when you find a place you screw it back on the boddy then the lamp assembly twist so it is very very hard. also last night while playing with my a2 i took the led ring out and found out it can run without the leds in there i figured it wouldnt but it sure did.

the fuzz

Enlightened
If you leave the led out of an A2 defeats the purpose of having this light, wouldnt it.
It becomes just an expensive 3 cell torch with regulated incarn.
But i heard it has further throw if you remove the leads from the torch

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the fuzz said:
If you leave the led out of an A2 defeats the purpose of having this light, wouldnt it.
It becomes just an expensive 3 cell torch with regulated incarn.
But i heard it has further throw if you remove the leads from the torch
yes i think it does but i have herd of people cutting off the leds so they could just have a regulated incadecent but i dont know why they would cut them off if you could just pull them out? it doesnt make sence to me either but i thought it was cool it could run without the led ring.

also its a 2 cell light not a 3 cell

the fuzz

Enlightened
"its a 2 cell light not a 3 cell"
Thats even worse, might as well get a G2 save 240$ dollars if you plan on cutting the leds on a Aviator

Knight Lights

Enlightened
It's interesting, but until you use the A2 for a while, you really don't get it.

Once you do, it becomes the coolest light!

The best way to improve the throw on an A2? Buy an M3Turbo!

Bill

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
any idea how to make it throw better? not I dislike the way it is, but i figure if it could be a wee bit brighter..heh:grin2:

You can always try holding your arm out farther.. :grin2:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the fuzz said:
"its a 2 cell light not a 3 cell"
Thats even worse, might as well get a G2 save 240$ dollars if you plan on cutting the leds on a Aviator
yeah you can do that but a G2 is not regulated and a a2 is quit a bit smaller. and i paid $125 for my a2 from my local dealer they might be more where you live. so here you would only save $90 bucks. of corse i would never cut out my leds i really dont understand why people do that i just thought it was cool that it could run without the led ring so i thought i would let all of you know.

marxs

Enlightened
the A2 isnt meant to be a thrower at all. it would be nice if it did, but its not. you might as well go with a P90/P91 LA or the M3. FWIW, the A2 for its size (including the bezel) has pretty good throw, enough to see whats out there.

mark

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
tried, but the bulb turns as you screw the bezel back in place....:ohgeez:

Hold the A2 vertically, bezel down when screwing the head back on, that should help the lamp stay in place. As far as throw, reflectors and lamps do vary a little, I haven't found the filament's relation to the LED's to be the most significant factor, rather it seems that the position that gives you the most oval beam will give you the most throw.

As others have said, the A2 is not a super thrower. It will beat just about anything else with a 1" bezel, but not by much. A Strion is probably still one of the smallest packages with serious throw, though you may question its 'usable throw' in actual use. The A2 is a light that a lot of us old farts here like, and we have our reasons, but it may not suit you. My advice is to hang on to it for a while and use it out in the woods a few times and see if it grows on you. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
leukos said:
My advice is to hang on to it for a while and use it out in the woods a few times and see if it grows on you. :)

ho ho...after a few nights of wondering around outside comparing one light to another..the A2 has already grown on me...in fact its growth has pushed a few lights back on the collection shelf...:grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
Pydpiper said:
You can always try holding your arm out farther.. :grin2:

I drawn up the idea of mounting it on a yardstick....

something so plausible at the time usually wind up idiotic in retrospect:ohgeez:

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
I lit up my world from 16 stories up in Rio de Janeiro, it throws no doubt.

Latest posts