• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired building my first mag rop

erikl

Newly Enlightened
After buying my first modified mag - a tesla-6 - I now want to do some modding myself.

I have to send my tesla 6 back to the USA from the netherlands, so I will be missing it for a few weeks anyway.
I figured out the easyest mod to start with would be a ROP mod.
I got a 6D maglite that I'm not using now, so I want to use that one for this mod.

I've read the review at http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9 which tought me a great lot about how to do this mod. For the tesla-6 I already got 9 AA NimH 2700Mah batteries, so I would like to use them for this light too. Now the ROP only needs 6 AA batteries.

I got the 3aa to 1d adapters from electrolumens with the 6D. To make a rop of my 6d I would probably need some extra adapters, and internaly wire the through. Any Idea where I can get them?

For now my shopping list would be:

Borofloat glass lens in 52mm diameter --> Lighthound.com
Pelican #3854 bulbs --> Lighthound.com
4 3aa to 1d converters --> ?

No one thing I can't realy figure out is where to get a refelctor. The guide sais I sould get a "Carley RF1940 METAL reflector, or equivalent " but I couldn't find any shop that sells it...

missionaryman

Enlightened
with your 6D you don't need any adapters - just 6 x NIMH D cells and you will have the world's longest running full brightness ROP!

You can get the reflector from:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/108339 or
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112185 or
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/103180 or

the ROP is the easiest to build with a 6D because the batteries fit straight in and give you huge run times and you can keep the low beam in the tail cap.

I found with mine that Modamag's M2 Light stipple worked beautifully - you just need to get him to ream the hole for the big bulb. If you can get a cammed reflector over a camless with your choice of finish then do so as you wont have to fiddle with shims

erikl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links!

The problem with using 6D NimH batteries is that I don't have them, and don't have a charger for D cells either.
So that's why I though about using AA batteries, since I have a lot of them, and a charger that can charge them in half an hour.

I now have three adapters like these:
magmod1.JPG

:huh2: my picture doesn't work, you can find it here

Any idea where I can buy them?

Last edited:

Roccomo

Enlightened
Check out the Sandwich shop for the reflector. I just built the 4D ROP by kevinL's original recipe. Wow!, this thing makes a load of light:rock: .

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
The AA aproach is ok but you will get alot of voltage sagg and when you start to wire through the adaptors you are likely to cause extra resistance in the circuit dropping the voltage even more. You could run 7 AA's which will be nice and bright but the run time will still be low. The ultimate ROP IMO is the 6 D cell NI-MH with little voltage sag and loads of runtime.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
To stay with AA cells in a Mag6D ROP host, you may want to look at these Parallel 4aa-1d Adapters to get maximum runtime. The serial 3aa-1d adapters you mentioned earlier are normally used to get the 6 cells needed to drive a ROP to fit into a Mag2D host. There are two drawbacks to using these 4aa-1d adapters. First, the higher capacity AA cells may not fit 4 across in the Mags sold over the last several years. The higher capacity AAs are just a little wider. For example, some 1600mAh cells I have will fit 4 across, the 2500mAh cells I have can only fit 3 across. Since these are parallel adapters, either 3 or 4 cells can be used. Depending on the capacity of which cells fit, you may actually get more power from 4 low capacity cells than from 3 high capacity cells. The second drawback would be the number of cells you would need to recharge. You might end up with 24 cells usind six 4aa-1d adapters. Even if you have the biggest charger I've seen which holds 10 AAs, that's 3 sets of charges.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
erikl said:
Thanks for the links!

The problem with using 6D NimH batteries is that I don't have them, and don't have a charger for D cells either.
So that's why I though about using AA batteries, since I have a lot of them, and a charger that can charge them in half an hour.

I now have three adapters like these:
magmod1.JPG

:huh2: my picture doesn't work, you can find it here

Any idea where I can buy them?

You look like you are looking for parallel holders. I got this idea from AW who sells batteries on CPF. He built and I built an ROP using these holders:
http://www.aventrade.com/baad.html
You can use 1 to 4 AAs in them, doesn't matter to the holder. I had to do a slight mod like AW but on the + terminial. I had to build it up because my batteries had too large of + contact to fit in the recess.
Look at AWs pictures and thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/129899

WOW! LOOK AT THE POST TIMES-DONSHOCK AND I WERE POSTING AT THE SAME TIME THE SAME THING!
PS- AW posted he used lithium 3.6V AA and so did I

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
you should take your 3 series olders and put them in a draw for later - like when the ROP doesn't seem bright enough and you feel the need for a MAG85, in the meantime go and get either the parallel holders (a total of 24 AA's needed, titanium 1800's will only just fit 4 across) or 6 NIMH D cells and a multicurrent charger from Alin10123 and some magnets to hold all 6 cells together and charge them as a pack.
I perceive that if you go with AA's the voltage sag and very short run time will leave you unimpressed and you'll probably end up getting D cells anyway. With the multicurrent charger you will charge 10000mah 6 D pack in 5 hours and get 2 hrs run time per charge. That's a lot of messing about and impressing mates.
If this light sits around and only comes out in emergencies then don't waste your time with NIMH as they self discharge, you'll need to build the ROP LE.

erikl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments! I didn't quite think about it, but paralel holders would indeed do the trick without the need to wire the holder through.
I now use 2700Mah batteries, so I don't think they will fit 4 across.
In the mean time I've also been reconsidering if I should use the 6D or use the stock 3D that I also have lying around.

I'm probably going to make the 3D a rop, and may eventually buy nimh D cells to convert the 6D into a rop.

I've just ordered all the parts to make the ROP, so it will probably be some weeks before I have them (A little disadvantage of living on the other side of the ocean)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
erikl said:
Thanks for all the comments! I didn't quite think about it, but paralel holders would indeed do the trick without the need to wire the holder through.
I now use 2700Mah batteries, so I don't think they will fit 4 across.
In the mean time I've also been reconsidering if I should use the 6D or use the stock 3D that I also have lying around.

I'm probably going to make the 3D a rop, and may eventually buy nimh D cells to convert the 6D into a rop.

I've just ordered all the parts to make the ROP, so it will probably be some weeks before I have them (A little disadvantage of living on the other side of the ocean)

You're right 4AA won't fit in the light with out some machine work, especially when using carriers.

erikl

Newly Enlightened
I received the big-d and lens from lighthound today!
man, that bulb creates a lot of light!

Now I don't even have the reflector yet, so I could only test it with the head off, but that already gave a lot of light.

I learned that I need better battery holders, the ones I nopw have are a nightmare to get everything connected. any idea where I can get good quality 9aa to 3D converters?

and what about dunny aa batteries, can you buy those anywhere?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Look for Five Mega battery adapters. They are the GOOD STUFF!!!

I don't know if they are currently available... you may have try Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

edit> whoops! these are 9AA Series. That is WA01185 power. You need 6AA for a ROP (some report no :poof: with 7AA).

erikl

Newly Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Look for Five Mega battery adapters. They are the
edit> whoops! these are 9AA Series. That is WA01185 power. You need 6AA for a ROP (some report no :poof: with 7AA).

I know :) but I only have a 3D mag to convert into a rop, so I need a 9AA adapter, with one (or three, depending if it's paralel or serie) dummy battery

molite

Newly Enlightened
I'm running the ROP in a mag 2c with 2x18650 Li's.
Using the 3854 bulb. It seems very bright.
Is this just as bright as the true ROP set up?
or is this just a wanna be ROP setup?

erikl

Newly Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Look for Five Mega battery adapters. They are the GOOD STUFF!!!

I don't know if they are currently available... you may have try Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Seems like he doesn't sell them anymore.
I did however found these at the sanwich shoppe: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_73&products_id=610
any idea if the're any good? there are no images of it.

I also found a thread from modamag: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1140241
with good looking battery adapters, but he doesn;t seem to sell them anymore either.

jd1

Newly Enlightened
molite said:
I'm running the ROP in a mag 2c with 2x18650 Li's.
Using the 3854 bulb. It seems very bright.
Is this just as bright as the true ROP set up?
or is this just a wanna be ROP setup?

I too am gathering info and parts to build a 2C or 3C ROP using the 3854 bulb and would like to know how it compares with "the recipe" for the 4D. MOP reflector and I'm assuming a stock switch setup? However, I might hold out for the upcoming C-size protected lithiums should they become available. Surely a few of you Brothers of the Light have a ROP setup with lithiums and 3854 and one with Nimah and WA1185. I don't have enough knowledge to know if the 4D variety would trump the 3C variety but I'm guessing it would? An apples to apples would be nice. I'm gearing toward lithiums for the shelf life but don't really know how valid that statement is. Thanks for any input anyone can provide.
:popcorn: