PT EOS or PT Yukon

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Having got myself a beater light for some estate security i do, i now need a good head lamp. I need to set up command centers at times and do property checks. I like having head lamp for hands free. I like the runtime of the yukon but like how compact the EOS is. Does the EOS have flood? Is it brighter than the yukons side emiter?

What say you

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
I had a EOS and it was a heck of a good light, sadly though i lost it:awman: You cant go wrong with the EOS its got the low mode for hope close needs and the high mode for when you need to see in the distance. I ve got an apex on the way:rock: and from what ive read it seems to be a better light than the EOS. HAv u got to flashlightreviews.com yet? if not you should.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
had the yukon HL. not bad but no regulation, the lux beam is too spotty to use, and very blue leds. now have an argo hp that I love. never used the EOS.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
bestcouncil,

Good news... Your shopping in the correct brand :D... Have you looked at the Princeton Tec Quad? Its a very 'floody' version of the EOS... However, the EOS is an awesome light... you just might have to do some mod's to it to make it 'perfect' :)... my setup is a Princeton Tec EOS SW0H w/ McR-18 reflector. I feel with that setup I have perfect flood/spot and transision...

However, the Quad is a very nice headlamp and it is very bright and lightweight! It requires no modding either :) its regulated and VERY waterproof!

http://www.night-gear.com/-strse-ILLUMINATING-GEAR-cln-PRINCETON-TEC-cln-Headlamp/Categories.bok

is my favorite place to buy headlamps :)

Cypher

Enlightened
I had the Yukon HL and liked it a lot. I sold it for an Apex which I love.

I also have an EOS with a IMS 17mm reflector and it has a nicely balanced beam but I would not consider it a thrower. I think my Yukon HL definately out-threw the EOS. If you needed throw I'd get the Yukon. If you will be using it for closer distances get the EOS with a 17mm reflector.

BTW, I think if you got a new Yukon HL it is regulated now. I want one again just for that reason even though I have the Apex and EOS. I think it bridges the gap. Bigger, more throw than EOS. Smaller and lighter than Apex. Just my .02

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to highjack the tread ;)

I ve typed it several times: the Apex just sux.
advertised runtime (till regulation ends):
Lux high: 1 hour
Lux Low: 9 hours
led high: 9 hours
led low: 15 hours
damn, whats that?

Kick the LED, put the EOS circuit in and have 4 mods offering:
3 hours, 6 hours, 14 hours and 30+ (?).

PT: PRODUCE AN EOS WITH AN APEX aa-BATT-BOX IN THE BACK!!
This would be the ideal light for anyone.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow said:
Sorry to highjack the tread ;)

I ve typed it several times: the Apex just sux.
advertised runtime (till regulation ends):
Lux high: 1 hour
Lux Low: 9 hours
led high: 9 hours
led low: 15 hours
damn, whats that?

Kick the LED, put the EOS circuit in and have 4 mods offering:
3 hours, 6 hours, 14 hours and 30+ (?).

PT: PRODUCE AN EOS WITH AN APEX aa-BATT-BOX IN THE BACK!!
This would be the ideal light for anyone.
i'm sorry Yellow but what are you talking about? Your saying you would want the EOS style proformance in a two piece headlamp?

I strongly disagree... if i'm going to get a two piece headlamp that thing better be a rocket in the brightness factor... the Apex on Low is pretty much the same brightness as the EOS is on high.... the regulation times you state are for running with alk's and I don't think many serious headlamp users acually use alks anymore...

what do you mean by
Kick the LED, put EOS circuit in and have 4 mods offering:?

so I think i gather that you want an EOS with a lot longer runtime? There are mult. options if you want that... :popcorn:

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys...and yes, i do go onto flaslight reviews.com. He gave the eos a 5 and yukon a 3.5.

My friends use the yukon, but it justs seems too big and cumbersome. I think i am leaning towards the eos for its compactness. I will just carry extra aaa...

what else info do you have guys...

When working or hiking, i almost always have a SF on me so throw is not that important. I think easy portability is a main issue for me.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a good all around light... like others have said its not a thrower... but it should work well for medium distances...

i'd look into modding it to a S-bin Lux and a McR-18 or a IMS 17mm reflector

hank_moon

Newly Enlightened
bestcounsel said:
When working or hiking, i almost always have a SF on me so throw is not that important. I think easy portability is a main issue for me.

Forget the EOS then, if you want a PT light, go with the QUAD. EOS beam is quite narrow...

bestcounsel

Enlightened
interesting...

i would think the EOS would have more throw than the quad....

Also, i am using a rockriver .5watt head lamp. I like it, but would want something more durable, brighter and less blue. However, it has ran like a champ.

Last edited:

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
I also have an EOS, and have done the 17mm ims reflector mod. It is very floody with the mod, but stock is not too bad either.

I used it just recently to setup a wall tent and dining fly in darkness with a slight drizzle. This was my first "real" test using it and worked very well.

REI outlet has the eos for $29.93 add coupon GEAR929 for 20% off which expires today though.

Edit: Forgot link. EOS

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry again bestcounsel, have to answer to jar3ds

jar3ds, I think You got me wrong.
OK, I absolutely dislike the optical appearance of the Apex, and like the Eos, but think You did not get my important points.
actually the Apex has just one useable runtime, the both 9 hour light levels.
A bright superpower (under 2 hours) throw headlamp using normal AA batts just makes no sense; give the light a normal headlamp beam (like NX05, or Fraen LP, or ...)

now runtime/brightness:
A 4 AA (NiMh) batt light running for 3+ hours at MAX, is a Lux III running at full power (some losses already included). So that would make a good full power level.
double of that (6-8 h) as 2nd light level and something about 15-20 hours (3rd), should both still be good for walking.
Then a very low (30+ hours) for "navigating", reading, ... at close distance, to complement the 4-level-headlamp.
That would be the perfect headlamp, by now only available for modders.

PS: I think the lower levels are much more importatn, than what most ppl think. The ususal hiker uses something like a Zipka or whatever. They dont like to see nothing, when Your MUCH stronger light is around.

@bestcounsel: for headlamp chores You will only need low light, for property checks anything, but no headlamp. Might make You an enlighted target.

Last edited:

bestcounsel

Enlightened
yellow...i hear you on the property checks and being a target. The other day i was explaining to my friend why a head lamp is not good for tactical situations, he disagreed.

I still will need a good head lamp for general work and power failures.