Is there a flashlight for firefighters?

knifecoop

Newly Enlightened
Here is the story...I currently carry a 6p surefire. Pros 1. its bright. Cons 1. batteries wear out. 2. Can't seem to find a decent mount for a helmet 3. don't like the on and off switch. I would like a light that lasts longer, mounts and dismounts easily and has a sturdy rugged mount, has an option for led, and cuts through smoke. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated and or recomendations.
Thanks

Cooper:huh2:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF! Check the offerings by Pelican - they have dedicated lines for firefighting and other hazardous environments.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello knifecoop and welcome at CPF:)

Some lights of the brands: Streamlight, Peli, UK are used by firefighters with the permission of dangerous environments (gases, flamable fluids...).

I don't know your pricerange, but I can recommend the Barbolight U-04. Great throw, runtime, build like a tank and dive rated up to 200meters, Helmet mountable and a great light at all.(also with the permission)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132720

Best regards

____
Tom

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight's Survivor is now (or will be) available in LED. I will be getting one for my turnout gear as soon as they get hazardous atmosphere ratings.

In the mean time, I like the UK eLED.

Scott

edit: Oops. I see I've been beaten to the punch on the Survivor! :)

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

Like what the others above mentioned regarding the Streamlight Survivor and I've seen this well-built light. It's fine as is in its non-LED format. There's also the Pelican Big Ed that's fit to be tried.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a clone of the ProPoly Lux, but with slightly more output and slightly less throw. I would think that throw would be desirable for cutting through smoke.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Clone? Just because it's a polymer luxeon flashlight does not make it a clone... It's actually smaller than the SL ProPoly, I believe.

Anyway, I find the UK series of lights to be exceptionally underrated and easily overlooked. Based on information from Flashlightreviews.com, the UK 4AA Fire appears to have the same type of minimal spill, tight hotspot beam as a Surefire E1L/E2L. Good runtime, and my own UK 4AA (not Fire, but same body) is solidly built and fairly slim.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a side-by-side 4AA, polymer, LuxI, watertight, regulated light. Look at the form factor, output, and regulation curve. It looks like an imitation of the ProPoly to me.

Of course, imitating a light like the ProPoly will make for an excellent product. I never said it was a poor clone, just a clone.

carrot

Flashaholic
:ohgeez: You could say that the Mini MagLED is a clone of a Fenix L2 by that definition... LuxI, 2AA, machined aluminum body, watertight, similar output curves on alkaline... ;)

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Survivor LED

dsc03044smallcz9.jpg

dsc03051smallcr3.jpg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK makes mighty fine lights. All I'm saying is that the recently-introduced Fire model seems very, very close to the ubiquitous ProPoly. When I read Quickbeam's review of the Fire, I had constant deja vu of the ProPoly review.

pec50

Enlightened
I use the new UK Fire eled as a structural helmet mount. This is substantially brighter than the older UK eled and uses optics to develop a fairly focused beam. I have used it in relatively hot interior fires without problems. My backup has been a brightstar responder 4aa which provides an extremely focused smoke cutting beam although I am eyeing the new streamlight survivor led. I should mention that a majority on the department use Pelicans. The streamlight propoly lux might be an option, although I have not used it on an interior fire. I personally prefer not to use metalic bodies due to heat conductivity and retention.

Our fire district is quite rural and covers almost nine hundred square miles, so we are typically spread thinner than in a metro setting and, for example, may not have as much support assisting with lighting. Thus, for medical I use a PT EOS as it allows me to use both hands for patient care and is relatively easy to disinfect. The PT Quad might be a good option for a more floody light.

For wildlands I use the older UK eled as a helmet mount as it provides good illumination for walking while not so bright that it completely overwhelms one's night vision and identifying latent hot spots. Backup is a UK 2aaa eled with helmet clip.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Pelican M11 is touted as being used in smokey conditions by fire, rescue, and police forces due to its narrow incan beam.

Ookpik

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
That looks like a clone of the ProPoly Lux, but with slightly more output and slightly less throw. I would think that throw would be desirable for cutting through smoke.

The two flashlights are quite different. The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA body is a more generic design. The UK 4AA body is quite unique. The UK batteries load one at a time through a small hole when the bezel is removed. The UK is smaller, flatter, and fits my hand better. The UK 4AA lights have lens, bulb, switch, venting, rating, and color options. Some lights can be focused and have two output levels. Many parts can be swapped. You can pretty well get what you want, in the same format. I have a Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux and a few UK 4AA models. For my uses, I prefer the UK lights. Check out the UK site.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/

Last edited: