Whole lota lurkin goin on

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Seems like, back in the day, there would usually be more members than guests on line here. In recent months, though, the guests have regularly been far outnumbering us. Do you suppose it's because of all the new LED lights coming on the market, or because we're just such a swell bunch of folks? :laughing:

Geoff

jtr1962

Flashaholic
You're probably right. That's how I got started on this place. I saw the improvements in LEDs, did some research online, and followed some links which eventually led to this place. I lurked for a few months before deciding to join. I think we're about to get a bunch of new members here very soon. :whistle:

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I first came here looking for info on building a light for my mountain bike... I still haven't built the light, and instead got sidetracked and now own far too many torches! Now at least I can use a strap, and have torches mounted on the handlebars on my bike.

Back on topic... I'm sure the whole LED thing means a lot more visitors, but new lithium ion batteries and even cr123a's might cause people investigate what else is out there. :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or........

I have a very narrow interest in flashlights. I have zero interest in the vast majority of the lights discussed on CPF, which means I tend to keep my mouth shut a lot. What I do instead is browse as a guest and read and read and read and read. Then, when something interesting that I can make a meaningful contribution to comes up, I log in. When I'm done with this post, I'll likely log out.

How many lurkers are actually members that aren't logged in?

:buddies:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel_Bomber said:
Or........

I have a very narrow interest in flashlights. I have zero interest in the vast majority of the lights discussed on CPF, which means I tend to keep my mouth shut a lot. What I do instead is browse as a guest and read and read and read and read. Then, when something interesting that I can make a meaningful contribution to comes up, I log in. When I'm done with this post, I'll likely log out.

How many lurkers are actually members that aren't logged in?

:buddies:

That is interesting - I always log on and browse..

My interests are also fairly narrow..

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I lurked for a year before joining, though that was a while back. I'm glad to have lurkers, in my experience that is the usual route for a future member to become a solid part of the CPF community. Those who register right away and post redundant questions or bait or troll are less desirable, IMO.

Last edited:

molite

Newly Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Seems like, back in the day, there would usually be more members than guests on line here. In recent months, though, the guests have regularly been far outnumbering us. Do you suppose it's because of all the new LED lights coming on the market, or because we're just such a swell bunch of folks? :laughing:

Geoff

I lurked for months, now I'm a member. you hit it on the head. I've alway been into flashligts, just buying the best stuff at the brick and morter stores. then one day I bought some 1watt Elements at Sams Club and thought how cool are these. Then I thought wonder what the brightest one of these would cost. surfed the net found you like minded guys and here I am. Since being a member I haved made full circle from incan's to led's to hid back to high power rop type stuff from fivemega. In no time at all I am poor.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first came here to search for more info on lights I read about at the LED Museum. With the big software change last year the built in Search function took quite a hit. I'm just wondering if having the easy to use Google CPF Site search box on each page has made CPF more useable to non-members who come here looking for a particular piece of info. I know that if I came here just to do a little research
I'd be more likely to stick around if I could find what I was looking for.

I love the Google search boxes on each page and I think that they make CPF much easier to use for everyone.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sub_Umbra said:
...I'm just wondering if having the easy to use Google CPF Site search box on each page has made CPF more useable to non-members who come here looking for a particular piece of info...
I thought the CPF search function was taken away from lurkers. Then the Google search feature was added - perhaps that's a contributing factor to slow page loads/server busy at times? Seems I had the ole' blinders on?

molite

Newly Enlightened
I've been on the internet for years using Google and when I researched lights I kept getting hits on this forum. I started veiwing the threads and "lurking" and was hooked.
I find the CPF search (advanced) very useful. The Google search on each page kinda seems to take you out of CPF then back in. But just in the time I've been Lurking and a member I've noticed the slow down and increased visitor ratio. I think with the 3 and 5watt led stuff getting ready to hit the run of the mill brick and morter (3 is already hitting) all the manufacturers are dumping their low power LED's. Have you seen the selection at target? I was in Big Lots, a close out store, and found Coast lights for less than 10 bucks. I snached them up. So flying turtle's got it almost right. it's all of the Old LED's (Old to CPFer) hitting the market at affordable prices that has fired up the interests in lights. you have to admit the first time you ever tried a 1watt Led you were wowed.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
I thought the CPF search function was taken away from lurkers.
I forgot about that.
Sigman said:
Then the Google search feature was added - perhaps that's a contributing factor to slow page loads/server busy at times? Seems I had the ole' blinders on?
I just logged off and looked at a page and, sure enough, the Google box is there for lurkers. It's still got to be less bandwidth and server time to search Google's index instead of CPF though...I think.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lurked for awhile because I can be shy until comfortable in posting. Now you poor folks can't shut me up :lolsign:

When I lurked for awhile I wanted to post bad... I signed up and didn't post much for months just read and learned. There was also a few months I took off do to being too obsessed and may do so again soon. I'm an MBA student and I really check the CPF too too much...

that is my $1.00 - $.98 :)

leukos said:
I think I lurked for a year before joining, though that was a while back. I'm glad to have lurkers, in my experience that is the usual route for a future member to become a solid part of the CPF community. Those who register right away and post reduntant questions or bait or troll are less desirable, IMO.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sub_Umbra said:
...It's still got to be less bandwidth and server time to search Google's index instead of CPF though...I think.
Duh..oh yeah, I think we did talk about that early on as well...oops - just one more reminder that my neural pathways aren't what they used to be!! :D