I have all the LEDs I need, except for UV

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have big lights, small lights, all LEDs, but now I want an UV light.

Probably AA form factor. (Something carryable)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious. Why do we want an UV and what is it used for? Lots of manufacturers come out with them so they must be popular.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc said:
I have big lights, small lights, all LEDs, but now I want an UV light.

Probably AA form factor. (Something carryable)

try Lighthound he's got those 3AAA 12 LED UV lights. I wouldnt waste time with anything less. BTW priced right at $6.99:sold:

Galiphrey

Enlightened
tsask said:
try Lighthound he's got those 3AAA 12 LED UV lights. I wouldnt waste time with anything less. BTW priced right at $6.99:sold:

I have one of those---it's actually very good. It's my GID-charger. :)

Something smaller than that would be a UV Peak McKinley.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound also has a UV, 8 LED, single AA light at the bottom of this page:
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/multi-led_flashlights.htm

I have a similar light, and it works well for lighting up security strips on currency, making vaseline marbles glow, and finding cat pee. It does have a fair amount of visible blue in its spectrum, but I figure that's probably par for the course.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody sell a converted M-MagLite?

re: MiniStar2 -LED Upgrade Kit with 5UV LEDs and reflector for 2aa Mini Maglite®

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am almost the same ATM I have a LUX I,III & V, Cree Xlamp, Nichia Rigel, K2, 5mm Ultrabright. All in various lights and I was chasing a drop in UV module for my Mini M@g. I like the unit which CM posted about but it costs about 3 times what the M@g is worth (cost me). Still not a bad total cost I guess.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the $7 Lighthound multi-LED light and the Terralux kit. It's hard to beat the Lighthound light for the money. Both seem to work better with the plastic window (lens) removed - it seems to absorb some of the shorter-wave UV. Both work fine for my casual uses - how much more effective are the 380nm lights?

InfidelCastro

Banned
postalguy said:
This is a pretty good deal I picked up on. 21-led, $9 for light and $9 shipping. 380-385 nm for better effect. The really cheap ones are 395-410 nm and don't work as well, (I know because I have one of these too).

http://cgi.ebay.com/380-385-nM-UV-U...hZ012QQcategoryZ66951QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

If this expires, he has plenty more for the same price. Just make sure it's the 380-385 nm version.

Does this have a decent amount of throw. I'm told the Cree unit above has a little bit of throw to it. I would like to drop it into a camo minimag and use it for scorpion hunting. I'm wondering if a lower wavelength unit would work better though. And I know 5mm LED's aren't exactly designed for throw...

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
JNewell said:
I have both the $7 Lighthound multi-LED light and the Terralux kit. It's hard to beat the Lighthound light for the money. Both seem to work better with the plastic window (lens) removed - it seems to absorb some of the shorter-wave UV. Both work fine for my casual uses - how much more effective are the 380nm lights?

My 21-led unit does not have a plastic window over the leds like Lighthounds does.

At the link, click on "Application Matrix" on the left-side menu for an excellent wavelength usefulness breakdown. You'll see 380 nm gives you the most bang for the buck.

http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/xeled/index.html

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Does this have a decent amount of throw. I'm told the Cree unit above has a little bit of throw to it. I would like to drop it into a camo minimag and use it for scorpion hunting. I'm wondering if a lower wavelength unit would work better though. And I know 5mm LED's aren't exactly designed for throw...

I've never been scorpion hunting, but since the 21-led unit easily makes objects glow (such as anything white like a t-shirt) from across the room, it would seem to be enough.

The Lighthound version (395 nm) has more visible light and acts more like a flashlight projecting a purple beam, and the same objects don't seem to stand out as much as with my 21-led 380 nm version. With the 380, you don't see as much of the light itself, just the glowing objects.

Update: I was just looking at the "Application Matrix" chart (above) and it looks like the 395 Cree is rated the best for scorpion hunting, so there ya go:)

Last edited: